How old??

Halotope
Halotope Posts: 21
edited August 2008 in Pro race
How old was everyone when they started racing?

TT's, circuits anything really!!

Tom :D

Comments

• Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    41 - started last year. Might be OK by the time I'm 70. :)
  • Halotope
    Halotope Posts: 21
    I was just wondering as I am 14 and cant decide whether to start racing now or not. I think i would be better at TT's but im not sure. I have been riding for a couple of years now on and off as I do school rugby saturday then club rugby sunday and all of the training mid week stops me getting out. :(

Do they do TT's for 14 year olds, I know they do racing??

Tom
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    Halotope wrote:
    I was just wondering as I am 14 and cant decide whether to start racing now or not. I think i would be better at TT's but im not sure. I have been riding for a couple of years now on and off as I do school rugby saturday then club rugby sunday and all of the training mid week stops me getting out. :(

Do they do TT's for 14 year olds, I know they do racing??

Tom

There aren't specific events for 14 year olds, but there are Juvenille (under 16) prizes on offer at many open events. Best way into TTs is to join a local club and go out to their events. You may require a parent or guardian to sign something, but at 14 you are old enough to enter standard events.

Simon
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Didn't really get into cycling until I was early 20's and then only MTB for fun. Turned to the road mid 20's and probably did my first TT's and a couple of road races (got a proper spanking) around 27.

Finally got into bunch racing properly at the tender age of 37.

My advice to you would be to go for it - try as many different branches of the sport as you are comfortable with and see which one you enjoy the most. Racing is racing whether it be track, road, TT, MTB or BMX. Each has their own intricacies and you'll find you are better suited to some more than others.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Halotape, there may be a local club with a large junior section nearby to where you live, some examples i know of

Palmer Park Velo
    Hillingdon Slipstreamers
    Chippenham Wheelers (i think)

Obviously at the moment you are concentrating on Rugby, but that isn't going to be all year round (at least at school) the junior clubs that i know of run saturday training sessions which are good fun, and they have a fun race at the end.

At your age, the bunch races are going to be quite short, obviously if you do TTs it's going to be fixed distances.

I started going to Slipstreamers at 15 left to join a local club at 16, then started bunch racing the next summer. Still haven't done anything of note because with exams i haven't had time to train hard. :(
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I was 14 when I started racing last year, TTs at first cos you don't have any worry of getting dropped and then RR's this year as well. I just joined a local club not one with lots of juniors
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I entered my first race at 10.

With a mountain bike.

Purple and white.

I still thank my mother for not taking any pictures of that. :wink: