Cube Peloton

nutter_bed
nutter_bed Posts: 87
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi

Been looking at road bikes for a couple of weeks. Looking at purchasing my first road bike.
I've seen Cube bike mentioned and I love the look of this one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23688

Is this a good bike?
The only thin I don't like is that it's a triple.
I'm torn between this and one of the Focus bikes, Variado, leaving me money for accessories.

I know you guys get a lot of this sort of question but I'm new to road bikes and would appreciate peoples thoughts on the Cube bike as well as the Focus.

Cheers for you help, it is much appreciated :)

Comments

• ris
    ris Posts: 392
    i had a go on a cube aerial a month or so back and it was a great bike, but a bit too aggressive in its geometry for a new rider like me. there was a peloton in the shop and i loved the look of it. the kit on it is extremely good value, too - 105 kit, ritchey forks, fulcrum 7 wheels. i'll be honest, if the aerial had been a good fit i'd have had a hard time not buying the peloton instead!

if you can find a dealer nearby i'd recommend taking one out for a spin, i went to garlands in bristol (bedminster shop).
  • Does it matter that it's a triple or is that not really an issue?

I ask because I have never ever used the small cog on my mountain bike!

Also, what about the Focus bike?
    Is that better, worse, same as the cube?

Again, I appreciate any advice that you guys & gals can give :)
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The Cube Peloton is a very good looking bike, it's looks far more expensive than it actually - looks are very important when it comes to buying a bike.

It's very well specced for the price and was highly rated in cycling plus.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cube Peloton and Focus Variado are just about exactly the same spec and both extremely competent bikes for the money. The recent reduction in the price of the Variado makes it an absolute bargain.
  • ris
    i'm not sure it being a triple is such a problem, you have to carry the cog around but i'm sure your legs will cope!

and on that rare occasion that you find yourself facing a proper bit of hillage you can stick it in the granny ring and saunter up without having to hoik yourself out of the seat.
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12569364

I got one straight off chain reaction like you have posted three months ago.

Can't fault the ride. At first coming from MTB it took a bit of getting used to flipped stem originally but have put it back now I am used to road bikes. If I ride my MTB now (very very rare) it feels like a tractor in comparison. I went for the cube because of the value for money with the kit aspect but I reckon the focus would be an equally good buy.

Its done me for my everyday commuting as well as weekend ventures out in the hills. Also did the manc blackpool on it the other month.

I have pics of it in the thread posted above.

Only slight negatives the seatpost for me is shocking. Its a richey but only one bolt so it slips every so often, am replacing this soon. The freewheel in the fulcrams are campag I believe so they are quite loud but I don't think this is a bad thing.
  • Sorry, don't want to sound stupid but do either of the bikes I mentioned come with pedals?
    All the pics seem to be minus pedals so do I have to buy any?
    If so, which?

Sorry for all the questions but the advice so far has been great.
  • ris
    the chainreaction link seems to suggest that it doesn't come with pedals. the cube website itself doesn't say either way but the photo doesn't have pedals. i would guess you need to allow for buying a pair.
  • Sorry to keep asking questions but could someone recommend some good pedals and shoes then please?

Thanks in advance
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Do any dealers (shops) keep the Peloton in stock? A web search brought up CRC as the only UK source (and they have no stock!!)
  • ris
    if you are looking for a clipless pedal system then there are a few types out there which range up according to seriousness.

i've been using spd's for 6months or so and wouldn't go back. they are fairly common, easy to get to grips with and there are plenty of shoes in differnt styles that take the cleats, including those that are recessed making it easier to walk in.

if you want something a bit more roady then there are a few, including spd-sl's, look, time and speedplay. speedplay seems popular here but i've not tried them myself.
  • Rockhopper wrote:
    Do any dealers (shops) keep the Peloton in stock? A web search brought up CRC as the only UK source (and they have no stock!!)

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/17191/Cube_Peloton_Bike_2008
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Thanks for that. Just a bit too far away from me. Any more in the midlands? Derby ish?
  • http://www.surosa.co.uk/

If you fancy an hour or two drive I am pretty sure surosa cycles in oldham near me stock cube, though probably worth a ring first as they don't show the peloton anymore on their site. I was going to go look but in the end bought from CRC as I checked the geometry against the specialized and giant bikes I had test rode and picked out the 58cm (equiv of a 56 in those ones) and its perfect.....

and i can confirm you need to buy pedals.
  • Thanks, I'll contact them and see what they do.

Anyone know of any stockists a bit closer to Leeds / Bradford?

Thanks
  • dont go down the " bargain " internet route , get it from a shop .
  • nutter_bed
    nutter_bed Posts: 87
    edited August 2008
    dont go down the " bargain " internet route , get it from a shop .

So like I said, can you recommend a stockist in the Leeds / Bradford area?

Thanks
  • sorry cant , but from experience , try and find one .
  • Brilliant! :roll:

Thanks
  • thats ok

Don't listen to stuff like this its personal preference. I bought from the CRC website. I hadn't sat on the cube but I had tested a lot of bikes of differing geometries and rode MTB for years so I compared specs (you can get sizes and diagrams from each of the manufacturers).

There has been zero issues for me in doing it this way. I dare say it might have gone a different way but I could have also dealt with a shop who had given me a bad experience....neither is a reason to hold a particular opinion on it as a "fact" only opinion.

Do whatever you feel you are happy with. Had I listened to people here I would have had to go get a bike fitting, bought from a shop and probably ditched it for a spec allez anyways. Its all about what you are happy doing. Cube is a german brand I believe so it won't be in every shop which is why I really went the internet route.

A quick google search (you can use it too right) brings up the following from Yell where it lists stocking cube however on their site this is removed so might be worth a call anyways:

http://www.velocitycycles.co.uk/contact.php

To be fair surosa is only another 45 mins away from leeds anyways so I really would check them out.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Hey nutter_bed you're gonna have to do a bit of homework and have a look on the net for Cube dealers. I know that Cycle Centre UK do them in Newcastle and they are at http://www.cyclecentreuk.co.uk/

Failing that, the largest dealer of Cube is in Scotland who do free UK delivery. Give them a ring and see what they can do for you.

http://www.cubecycles.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=60113

The Cube web site is at http://www.cube-bikes.de in which I found a list of 39 dealers in the UK so I would have thought there was one near you.

The Peloton page on their site is at http://www.cube-bikes.de/xist4c/web/PEL ... 21066_.htm

Good luck with it mate.
  • Cheers guys, brilliant advice and very much appreciated.

I will do some research :)

Don't listen to stuff like this its personal preference. I bought from the CRC website. I hadn't sat on the cube but I had tested a lot of bikes of differing geometries and rode MTB for years so I compared specs (you can get sizes and diagrams from each of the manufacturers).

There has been zero issues for me in doing it this way. I dare say it might have gone a different way but I could have also dealt with a shop who had given me a bad experience....neither is a reason to hold a particular opinion on it as a "fact" only opinion.

Do whatever you feel you are happy with. Had I listened to people here I would have had to go get a bike fitting, bought from a shop and probably ditched it for a spec allez anyways. Its all about what you are happy doing. Cube is a german brand I believe so it won't be in every shop which is why I really went the internet route.

I contacted Winstanleys about the Cube Peloton and asked for their recommendation on sizing. Every website I have been on and followed fitting instructions recommends I buy a 56cm frame. Winstanleys suggested a 58cm which just so happened to be the only size they have in stock.

I'm 6ft with a 33" inside leg.

Could someone with a cube let me know what they think about the sizing of the bikes please. This will be my first road bike and I don't want to make a mistake in buying one.
    I know a lot of people will say to try one before you buy, but I am struggling to find anyone within reasonable distance that stocks the Peloton for me to try.

Thanks in advance
  • the only internet site ive read constant good reviews of is planet x . all the other main ones ( you know which ones ) have had some bad reports . youve set your heart on a cube , get it from the nearest bike shop , even if its 30 to 40 miles away . youve only got to get it back there for its first service ( which will be free ) then you can use your lbs . ps id say a 56 ? but you need to try
  • If you look at the geometry on the cube website you will see the 58 cube has a 56 seatpost equiv height.....therefore winstanslys are on the ball and should be good dealign with them.

I too bought the 58 after looking at this fact and had sized up on 56cm giants and spec bikes. The geomtry meant that compairing the sizes I knew I needed the 58 in the cube and if you check the sizing the top tube size etc is even a little under a 56 in the spec giant trek bikes etc (only marginally).

I am 6ft 1 also with a 33 inside leg and trust me you will fit a 58 perfectly. It might feel weird at first being your first racing position bike but thats not a size issue so don't worry.

This is the exact reason why someone with zero actual experience of what you are asking should be careful of what they say as its not helpful to you.

Hopefully this eases your concerns.

PS every single company will get bad reviews from time to time, some reasonable some not and sometimes you are unlucky. I reiterate you could just as easily get the same sort of bad experience from an LBS, its just you can clock them one for it.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    the only internet site ive read constant good reviews of is planet x . all the other main ones ( you know which ones ) have had some bad reports . youve set your heart on a cube , get it from the nearest bike shop , even if its 30 to 40 miles away . youve only got to get it back there for its first service ( which will be free ) then you can use your lbs . ps id say a 56 ? but you need to try

+ 1 - I totally agree!
  • oxon
    oxon Posts: 35
    Hey Nutter, my 1st road bike is Cube Peloton, after riding MTB for years, I am 6' 1" with a 33.3" inside leg and the 58" fits well, the standard seat post is on the markers, everthing else is set to standard.

This was fitted too me and my LBS actually ordered me a bike in from DE, hope this helps.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You seem to have decided on the Cube... but I just wanted to say - rode my focus Variado (06 Expert) in today. First time I've been ion it for a while but I fancied a change from the Singlespeed. I'd forgotten what a great bike it is, pleasure to ride and very comfy. It's not a patch on my Pinarello but it still remains pretty much the best £800 I have ever spent, the VFM is just ridiculous. Also I've had it over 2 years now, it's served 1 winter as my all weather training bike and I've not had a single problem with it.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Aye. Give the Expert some consideration. My Lemond Zurich IS better. But, as Jash said, for that price? Brilliant.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.