track cycling helmets

wildmoustache
wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
edited August 2008 in Pro race
why do some riders not wear aero helmets when there is a significant aero advantage in using them ?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Not such a good thing in things like the track sprint where continually turning your head means an aero helmet would be a distinct disadvantage
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I think they don't wear them where there's a significant risk of crashing. Not sure an aero helmet'd be great it you fell on your arsh. Jason Kenny seems to have some sort of compromise job, either that or he has a really weird head.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Not such a good thing in things like the track sprint where continually turning your head means an aero helmet would be a distinct disadvantage

That's not really an adequate explanation though montydog, because :

1. In the straight speed events the helmet would be an advantage, yet some don't wear them.

2. Turning head ... v. probably still an aero advantage to have a more aero helmet than a standard road helmet, even if not one with a huge tail
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Quite impressed by how far round the track they can cycle whilst looking backwards though!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Do the regs forbid them for events like the keirin or points race where there's a fair chance of crashing into a competitor but allow them for e.g. pursuiting ?
  • sparkit
    sparkit Posts: 5
    I believe that I read something a wee while ago that intimated that aero helmets were less important indoors than outdoors. It said that you can get enough aero advantage from simply having a vent-less helmet.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    I'm no expert but this is what I've observed on the telly and googling around. Teardrop aero helmets for pursuits (and TTs) have been accepted for years, but they're not much use for events in which you have to turn your head like sprints, Madisons, Keirin etc. Casco started making a spherical aero helmet (the Warp) in 2006 and VP was one of the first to start using it as part of her run-up for the world's. I think it was the first spherical aero helmet for sprinters with good crash protection. She seemed a bit sceptical about it at first. It was a new idea and perhaps it only gves the tiniest, weeniest advantage at the expense of some visibility? Hard to say without trying one on. The number of Warps being worn at Beijing is huge - they were very unusual at the world's. So maybe it's something that is still spreading as more and more riders try them. Hoy started wearing his at the Commonwealth games, I think.

I saw one rider wearing a Casco Attack the other day - dead funky but not so aero. I suppose a smooth shell really doesn't give much of an advantage in the sprint where you are only turning on the power for half a minute or so. But the British Cycling approach is all about the little things, isn't it?

The Warp and Attack are here http://www.fine-adc.com/2007/casco/index.htm
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I certainly would not want to wear an aero helmet in any event where crashing was a genuine possibility. They have "I'll break your neck" written all over them.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • What is the helmet's brand wore by the Great Britain Team during the period of cycling track in olympics games?

Or these helmets have existed only for the GB Team?

May I found these helmets in a shop specialized?

(I am french :) )

Here they are :

Olympics+Day+7+Cycling+Track+5UL_ZZlcUb9l.jpg

Olympics+Day+7+Cycling+Track+a5VQNoiK-UWl.jpg

Img214551094.jpg

Img214555112.jpg

Img214563610.jpg

The brand is not :
    - SPIUK
    - LIMA
    - LAS
    - GIRO
    - BELL

I search everywhere, unfortunely i don't find......

Thank you!!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm pretty sure they were custom made, much like all the team GB kit.
  • OK, but is there a brand? I want the same helmet.

like: Casco, Bell, Spiuk, Giro, LAS, Lima??...
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I don't think there is a brand, I thnk they got them custom made by some random company that makes something entirely different to helmets.
  • ok, I understand...
  • So, they don't exist in all shops specialized in bikes?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    So, they don't exist in all shops specialized in bikes?

Nope, they are bespoke
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Yes! I know... but can I find the same helmet without personnalizations?

I am french , and I live in France, I don't speak english fluently.. sorry for mistakes.