what gets you out?

dave0992
dave0992 Posts: 27
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
this is my first ever topic and my second ever post but here goes. what motivates you to get out and ride? i find watching the cycling in the games gets me going as does simply putting on my cycling shorts and staring at my bike for a bit, i know, im completely mad!

Comments

• sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    to win
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • dave0992
    fair one, step aside mate, im taking over!!
  • DW01
    DW01 Posts: 66
    Seeing my bike... i leave it out sometimes just to walk past and think 'Right Now!!!'
  • sub55
    dave0992 wrote:
    fair one, step aside mate, im taking over!!

[img][/img]cyclefinish.jpg
    :lol::lol::lol:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • dave0992
    i guess not then! i can still dream though cant i?
  • sub55
    dave0992 wrote:
    i guess not then! i can still dream though cant i?
    yep of course you can
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,470
    Restlessness combined with the worry that it might rain tomorrow.... If I haven't been out for a day or two I just get itchy feet!

That and remembering what it feels like to be flying up a hill with a tailwind when I'm on good form.

Knowing how great it will feel to relax with food and a beer afterwards...

Yeah, and seeing the bike, especially if I've just cleaned & oiled the chain and tweaked everything.
    i find watching the cycling in the games gets me going as does simply putting on my cycling shorts and staring at my bike for a bit, i know, im completely mad!

You mean you sometimes put on your shorts and stare at the bike before you've decided to go out?? :D
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    What a daft question.

You ride because it feels good.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I just enjoy it. Having said that, I booked last week and this week off work as holiday and the weather has been awful. I went out every day last week, but after being caught in rain every single day I've lost the motivation somewhat this week. Having aid that I still hope to get out at least a couple of times.
  • dave0992
    thats what i mean, weather is so bad right now, my last big ride i got caught in a thunderstorm, couldnt see hand in front of my face, no fun. i dont mind gettign wet but that was taking the biscuit!
  • dave0992
    neeb: i tried it the other way round but i get odd stares from my flat mates, they dont understand do they!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Just to feel better.

Enjoy the out doors

Scenery

And I'm a lot fitter!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • the sun , and the thought of getting fat
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    At my age and state of mechanical repair its the best thing to keep me as fit as possible (I HATE swimming in pools...).
    But I had my first tricyle ( :shock: ) at the tender age of 4 and have since ALWAYS had access to a bike.
    I just love riding one and I don't mind what it is, as long as I'm rolling along.
    I admit this current weather is exceptioanlly ,consistently, swearing-inducingly bad but after a day of not being out, I just put on the coat and go out on something with mudguards :D
    There is a big difference between people who just love to ride and those who use a bike to ride around on pavements tho'.
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • if i spend too long off the bike, then i get twitchy and grouchy :grin:
    if the weather is bad i just wear a pair of light shorts, a thin tshirt and get wet.
    if i feel cold i know im going too slwoly :lol:
  • I am out 6 days out of seven and last sat I went for a pre arranged couple of hours into the west pennine moors area after only five hours sleep and quickly realised I had zero energy. Battling the fiercest headwinds I have ever had up some pretty long hills I thought I was dead on my saddle a couple of times and asked myself why I was out there.....but got home and loved the feeling I had worked hard and can't wait for the next big effort.

I don't get the whole weather issues...unless its really really raining hard nothing can really put me off getting out there other than being stuck to roads full of traffic. Bring on the quieter countryside where you can only hear the wind and your tyres zipping along the tarmac.