Older newbie

dcs01
dcs01 Posts: 23
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi Folk's,

Having just got back into biking, my last bike was when I was a kid and am now 44. No jokes about old farts, I know I should have done this years ago.
I have got a cheep ('land rover' hard tail with disc brakes ) I am doing about 17 miles twice a week on road ( Aylesbury - Ford - Kimble - Bishopstone - Aylesbury ) and one of the Evan's organised off road rides out of Stokenchurch ( short route ) The accents nearly killed me but I am now hooked.
I am looking for help / advice on taking this further, more off road / riding with others etc. And yes I am looking at upgrading the bike next year :D I am seriously hooked :shock: al

Regards

Dave

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    44 ain't old! If you'd have said 84 ;-)

Key is to not overdo it, take to recover and build up slowly. Make sure you are well prepared with a few basic tools, foods, water etc, then just enjoy it!

We have a specific rides section whre you could post as well about meetings and local rides.
  • dcs01
    Supersonic,

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to build things up, just hoping someone with local know how can point me in the right direction for places to go and how to do things.

Regards

Dave
  • Well done Dave .

Incidentally you are a mere youngster .

I recently got the bug again , at 53 .

So , its never too late .

Just take small steps and it'll all come back to you .

:D:D:D
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    well i have just started at 38, for long rides, water is vital! and i keep forgetting to take enough!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • dcs01
    Lesz42 & Geriatrix,

Good to know its not all young wipper snapers doing this. I am building up on the miles, after the Evans ride I now know I need to do more up hill work. Those accents nearly killed me, but at least I did not fall off / wreck the bike.

Regards

Dave
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    used to HATE anything hilly, but since i have had the bike ( 7 weeks) i try to scream up the short ones ( well just to get puffed out really!)

and time myself slowy on the long ones, get better and better each week, but as its getting dark need some good lights, bad weather ( apart from snow) wont stop me!
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    A few basic tools and a spare tube are the basic things to carry.

Get a Camelbak, or similar and you can stick everything in there, the bottle on the frame gets very dirty when things get muddy!

On a different note, was the Evans event well organised?

I'm going to do the Medium (60 mile) road run in Sept, and was curious how good the sign posting etc was.

Just build up, you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get better!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    Geriatrix wrote:
    Well done Dave .

My mind is 20 but my 49 year old body is screaming 'Noooooooo' :lol:

Been back into it about 6 months and loving it. Now I'm thinking of entering this http://www.hoth.org.uk/
  • dcs01
    Rich Hcp,

I found the sign posting to get to the start good, but do look up the place on a map / google etc before hand just to make sure you know where it is.
    Once there, there is drink / energy bars available. Registration is easy, they give you a quick pre ride talk of about 5 min's, then its get start times on your route card and off.
    The ride its self, for the off road, was fairly well marked out and they gave you a map just in case.
    There was a drinks station half way round, so you could re fill up then.
    At the end hand in your card for a final time to be recorded. Drinks / snacks were available as well as changing facillities, they have a few bits for sale and a mechanic on site for any pre / after ride checks etc.
    Over all I found it all OK and easy to understand what was going on. My only problem was with the ride (off road) being described as suitable for novices, I had an experianced freind from work doing the ride and he commented that the accents were not beginers grade and that a few experianced riders that he was with had to get off and walk the worst / steepest bits.
    Having said that it has not put me off doing another of the Evans rides and for £10 a good day out. As my first off road ride ever, I did the 16 K in 3 hours 15 mins.

Regards

Dave
  • Hi Dave, like you started again at 44 and can't get out enough on it .look for local trail info in your area and have fun :D and find a good LBS and ask them about clubs or rides.
  • Rich Hcp
    Thanks Dave.

That's made my mind up!

Defo going to do the Hatfield 60 mile road course, on my roadie of course. I need to crack 4 hours, just missed it on the Suffolk Coast ride due to the 20MPH headwind for thwe last 30 miles...

I may do the off road one too, the week before, but I'm not sure if I'm around then, I'll get some friends to do it too, if I go.

Thanks again
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dcs01
    Quagmire man & Rich Hcp,

Its good to know there are others like me out there who are 'later in life' newbie's to this. Having said that I had forgoten how enjoyable riding is.

Regards

Dave
  • Rich Hcp
    spursn17 wrote:
    Geriatrix wrote:
    Well done Dave .

My mind is 20 but my 49 year old body is screaming 'Noooooooo' :lol:

Been back into it about 6 months and loving it. Now I'm thinking of entering this http://www.hoth.org.uk/

Looks like fun!

Over 40's are veterans! No way!

I'm 43 and feel much younger!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rich Hcp
    The best thing is that it clears your head.

Had a shite day at work yesterday.

Once I'd decided which bike, road or trail, I was off for about 40 mins, it was starting to get dark, ripping the trails and got up a hill I'd never done without stopping before 8)

Came home a different person, much easier to live with :lol::lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large