New cyclist - Shopping list advice

t84
t84 Posts: 119
edited September 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Have decided to get a bike due to the fact I would like to get fitter, petrol prices are rising, and also due to our companies fantastic Ride2Work scheme, I used to cycle quite a bit when I was younger but would really like to get into it again.

I'd be looking at a 10 mile commute each day (5 miles each way) and I would also like to do some light offroading/trails for pleasure.

I've been looking at the Specialized Rockhopper 08 Disc, but I was wondering what else I need to add to my shopping list? So far I can think of:

:arrow: Helmet
:arrow: Road tyres
:arrow: Mud guards?
:arrow: Lights

I'd be carrying my stuff in a backpack to and from work (I don't carry much stuff) and I have a large strong motorcycle chain that I can use in work to lock it up with, is there anything else I'm blatently missing from that list?

Thanks,

t84 :)

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    padded shorts 2 pairs one for the wash and one for the ride.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • t84
    Will that be needed for a 5 mile trip?

T
  • Popeh
    Popeh Posts: 115
    Have a cycle before you start to use it for work and make the decision. I recently got back into cycling and my god, I wish I'd of gotton padded shorts before the ride. You do become more adapted over time I believe however.

Don't forget to add your basic toolkit in case you get a puncture on route, bottle and holder?
    - Marin 2005 East Peak
  • t84
    Thanks, will do! :)
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Definitely get the shorts! Wiggle sell DHB ones for around £12.50, wear 'em under a pair of traditional shorts. I have five pairs of under-shorts, one for each day of the week 8)

If you want your bike to keep going, you'll need a few bits and bobs to maintain it too...

Bike-cleaner spray (Muc-Off or Fenwicks)
    Chain-cleaner gadget
    Degreaser
    Chain lube (Wet & Dry or just wet. Finish-Line products are very popular)
    Multitool
    Puncture-repair kit (or self-adhesive patches)
    Gloves
    Glasses (Bolle safety-specs are cheap, good-looking and inexpensive)

Don't underestimate the benefits of regular (and simple) cleaning and Maintenance! Check the Park Tool website for a wealth of information on basic maintenance.
  • t84
    Thanks guys, all of this stuff has to come from Evans Cycles though to qualify under the scheme :)
  • t84
    Hello, I'm just gonna buy this from Evans Cycles:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec001452
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... t-ec007963

Then I'll just buy stuff as and when I need it,

Can I size up a helmet without trying it on? I tried a few on at evans, and they were comfy enough, even though they were a bit small!

Cheers,

T
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    no, needs to be the right size to be of much use, too big won't protect well and too small will eventually start to hurt.

Get the right size, there isn't a precise size due to the amount of adjustability that the cradle that holds your head features. Just get what feels right, fits well and spend a minimum of about £20 and buy from people like bell, giro, met e.t.c cos they make good budget helmets.

Also make sure it complies to the basic safety standards, lists are available on the internet
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I've recently got back into biking and have bought the following:-

Specialized Air Force 3 helmet - £25 and excellent safety ratings
    Specialized Crossroads Armadillo Elite - on road and off road mix tyre with excellent puncture resistance.
    Cateye Strada wireless bike computer
    Cateye LED lights
    Topeak mini masterblaster pump

I instend to also purchase in the near future:-
    Bottle and cage
    Front and rear mudguards either Crud or Cycraguard
    Peddle cages or powergrips
    Cheers, Stu
  • Bmjboy
    Bmjboy Posts: 680
    For commuting you want to look at waterproofs and/or a good cycle jacket, the right clothing will be crucial in the winter months.

As SJP said you need to invest in some maintenance equipment, no need to go mad but the first thing any bike owner should have is a multitool, pump, inner tube repair kit.

After that you need to look at lube for the chain/mech, I use White Lightening (not the drink!)

LIDL are doing their biking specials this week, so now is a very good time to stock up on lots of things (theyre doing tools, pumps and clothing) and you can upgrade and replace when needed. This is a great place to get a lot of kit to kick start you off, and a lot better quality than some would imagine.

Once you are in the swing of things you will know what you need naturally.

If you are on the road the majority of the time, get some slicks, Schwalbe City Jets are cheap and do the job just fine for what you need.
    "I don't do double-entendres, but I do like to slip a big one in occasionally"

Giant Trance X2 / Garmin Edge 305 / Empty Wallet
  • Notnormal
    Notnormal Posts: 132
    Lidl have some very cheap cycling gear at the moment. £5 track pump. £1.99 gloves etc. Worth looking at especially if you are starting out and or on a budget.
  • t84
    Just thinking, is a rockhopper the best thing for me if I'm going to be using it for commuting?

I'm not sure how much MTB'ing I'll actually be doing, would something like a Spec Allez be better for my uses?

Thanks,

T
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    5 Miles each way isn't a lot to be honest. Personally I would do that on Mountain Bike tyres / wheels with no great concern. If you intend to do many more pure road miles though, the balance would change.

Whilst I don't commute, my local trail is 3 miles away on the road (each way) - I do this about 3 times a week) and other favourite is 7 miles away each way (do this once per week).
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • t84
    I like the idea of speed though, but I also (think I) want the option of going on some trails, etc (Nothing mental though)!

Argh!

T
    592 Posts: 4
    If you are mainly looking at on road riding then a Spec Allez would certainly be the faster and easier riding option. The only problem may be that some people find the riding position of dropped handlebars uncomfortable and awkward for around town riding so if you just want to get around town easy you may be better off with a Hybrid which has the lightness and speed of a road bike plus the comfortable riding position of a mountain bike. Nearly all the brands do a decent hybrid its just down to your budget and preference.
  • Dont get shorts unless you can shower when you get to work. They are sweat inducing, disgusting bits of kit.

5 miles? Just get a reasonable saddle.

Just my opinion obviously and I'm also new to this... but I found lycra to be horrible.
  • Tyres should be ok
  • t84
    Cool, so is a Rockhopper definately the best £600 MTB I can get? (From Evans Cycles, anyway!)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    t84 wrote:
    Cool, so is a Rockhopper definately the best £600 MTB I can get? (From Evans Cycles, anyway!)

If it fits you, yes.

Remember to lockout the front suspension when you are on the road, makes life a little easier.
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • t84
    Hey guys,

I've got my voucher for £690, so I'm going tomorrow to order.

I don't think this Evans have much of a stock, so not sure what I'm going to be able to test!

The Rockhopper 09 is out, so I might get that instead, it's the same price and they're not reducing the 08 - Is the spec better?

09:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec016418

08:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec001452

I'm also getting these lights:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cat ... t-ec007963

Which should leave me £25 for a helmet.

Anything else I need I'll be getting with my own cash.

Seem like a plan?

T
  • is it me, or no one mentioned about Lock(s)??!! :shock:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Oooh, personal shopper time!

I would suggest in addition to the above, mortgaging your house as the rest of us have done and buying more than you can afford (you know you want to)

Suggestions:

Proper cycle backpack like a Vaude with the reflective patches (available from Evans, or at least was)
    Clip in pedals maybe worthwhile and compatible shoes,SPD's? At least you can walk in them. Sounds silly but there is nothing like slipping off wet pedals in front of traffic at the lights for feeling stupid/suicidal. Besides you go faster.
    shoe covers, freezing wet feet are no fun.
    cycle shirts, 3 or so for a wash/wear cycle
    summer gloves and seperate winter gloves, maybe glove liners (several pair)
    rain jacket/winter jacket
    warm waterproof longs
    warm under helmet hat to avoid ears freezing. Maybe a balaclava as well for when it is freezing cold
    track pump to get tyres to proper pressure which helps go faster and avoid flats
    repair kit (a must)
    several extra tubes to carry with you on your commute. I've had multi-flat days several times
    cycle computer for racing others and knowing how fast you are going....
    bottle cage and bottle, gets thirsty in summer
    2 pair shorts at least
    Lights, are you not riding in the dark at some point?
    Recommend a book on cycle maintenance, suggest one of Zinn's books for your bike type.
    A bike stand will help with maintenance
    Chain cleaner and lube, unless you want a gungy chain that goes dry and eventually snaps
    basic tools for basic maintenance at home, and a multi-tool to take with you for adjustments if neccesary (Evans might supply this with your bike)

Extra of all the above, with upgrades/replacements as necessary/desired.

Now get shopping, the economy is relying on you for a kickstart!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....