XC Cornwall / Devon

paynts
paynts Posts: 19
edited October 2008 in XC and Enduro
Hi all, I am wanting to get involved in mtb xc or marathons. I know they do stuff over at newnham park plymouth but cant find any dates of event. Also are there any events on bodmin moor. Not looking at being competative but after a sense of achievment and a good laugh along the way. Any help greatful especially web sites i can check out as i dont want to miss any closing dates. cheers Paynts

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    The club in my sig is a good place to start.
  • yup, check out ht elink in mine and Matt's sig's also there is an 'XC in Cornwall ' thread in the rides section,

what part of the county are you in matey??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • paynts
    Im up in Liskeard so Bodmin moor is my playground. :P :P
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    You could always try us; YOGi. We have 3 mtb rides each week and at least 2 road rides. Anyone always welcome - checkout the website for full details of the different rides available.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    www.xcracer.com

This will point you to the Soggy Bottom series at Newnham. First round is in November.

or

http://www.votwo.co.uk/votwo2007/events ... 2&c=1&i=61

If you want to enter a team in the Tehidy Dirty Double.

or

Yogi's site often post other events that are on in the area.

or

Get out & ride with either Yogi or CornwallMTB (links already posted) - depending on where you live.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • paynts
    Cheers for the response guys.
    When i feel fit enough to join up with you i will give you a shout, at the mo 8 miles off road is killing me and will take a bit of time to build up. I am trying to go out every other evening to build my fitness.
    Am looking at cardinham woods this weekend as its only down the road, are there any routes you would recomend for big thrills.
    Cheers Andy
  • FSR_XC
    Andy

You won't have any fitness issues with the Cornwall club. 10 miles is often the max done and this is with plenty of rest.

I prefer Dunmere to Cardinham for riding. I might be going up there tomorrow night. around 6.30 for an hour or so.

If you want to come along pm me your email / mobile
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• paynts
    Thanks for the offer bud, but will not be able to go out tomorrow.
    Dunmere rings a bell but i cant think where it is !
    Will catch up with you soon though as i am also interested in motorsport photography. I am really just starting out in DSLR but have some nice photos of british superbikes and world superbikes.
  • yogi
    Echoing FSR's post really - he's a good lad who rides with us occasionally - you'd have no trouble with our Thursday night MTB ride either, it's pretty slow and finishes at a pub too.

Once you get some fitness give the Tuesday night MTB ride a go, it's very fast and technical - ideal for toughening you up for MTB racing.

Used to race at Dunmere Woods in the days of the old Cornwall Mountain Bike Club back in the early 90's, twas a very hard circuit.
  • paynts
    Cheers yogi.
    Did the plym valley plod with the family on friday and noticed some nice tracks going off the main route and following the river bank. When we got to the pub at clearbrook the chef had just walked out so had to cycle back feeling really hungry. Thats the first time ive done it and found it much quieter than the camal trail but not challenging enough when with wife and daughter.
  • yogi
    You'll find that there are lots of challenging trails all around the Plym Valley and Plymouth for that matter but you'll need a guide to find them - well worth checking out sometime - and that's not to mention the trails out on the Moor.

We sometimes ride out to 'The Skylark' at Clearbrook via the Plym Valley Trail for a few bevies and take over the Crow's Nest - makes for an interesting ride home! Bad luck on the food front. The 'Royal Oak' at Meavy is also very good.
  • Surf-Matt
    yogi - how wet is Dartmoor at the moment?

Did the 6 Moor Miles (run) about a month ago and even then it was pretty damn wet!
  • yogi
    Depends where you go really. Been walking on the Moor today (Friday) and apart from a few wet patches it was pretty good.
  • Surf-Matt
    Hey it was dry enough to mow the lawn today - woo hooo!
  • My route home to Tavistock over t'moor is very water logged at mo. can imagine much of the moor being the same.
    Still havent got rid of my bonty muds yet!! perhaps they should be called bonty britains!!
  • paynts
    Went to Dunmere yesterday with the family.
    Parked in borough arms car park.
    My aim was to find the good tracks whilst keeping everyone else happy.
    We headed out towards Poley's bridge passing shell woods etc.
    Could not see any obvious tracks off into the woods, was i in the right area or not. :?:
    If not can someone give me directions from the pub.
    Was still a good afternoon splashing through the muddy bits, even the wife was enjoying getting muddy !!! :wink::wink:
  • FSR_XC
    The pub is only a parking area as the 'land owner' doesn't like bikes in the woods. (Not going to get into this, as it is Forestry Commission land.)

Anyway, you need to ride up the road towards Wadebridge (yep the big hill). You'll see a gate on the right half way up (on a left hand bend). In through there & follow the trail to the left when if forks. It is not an easy trail for kids etc.

Alternatively, you can drive towards Wadebridge and where the road forks right for Camelford there is a bus stop. There is an entrance there, where you are straight in on the fireroads.

• paynts
    Cheers FSR
    Might have a look next time i go that way.
    Those where the woods i could see over the river from the trail.
  • oooh, I'm a newbie from Plymouth and interested in joining some rides if there is something happening? What are proper off road lights, i.e battery pack jobs?

Friend an I parked at Princetown, then cycled to Houndtor across the bridleway and roads, and back again, moors were damp on sat, but starting to dry out on the sunday.

:D
  • just realised this post is ancient, sorry :lol:
  • FSR_XC
    just realised this post is ancient, sorry :lol:

That's not a problem - for what's going on in Plymouth have a look in the news on here: http://yogi.terapad.com

• yogi
    Hi Chrissy,

Just seen you're post.

There is a Fun MTB Ride meeting at B&Q Car Park, Coypool at 10am on Saturday 4th.
    Pace will be fairly slow as this ride is for novices, newbies or people who want to take it easy.

The Thursday Night MTB Rides are usually at a steady pace. Meet 7pm check website for details.
    Last night we went along the coast, it was pretty wild and windy.

The Tuesday Night MTB rides are very fast and technical. Meet B&Q 6.30pm.

On the light question; yes battery pack, the higher powered the better but it's amazing how you're world is focused on a patch of light 10 foot in front of your wheel.

Look forward to meeting you. And thanks once again to FSR.
  • Agreed, there are a lot of trails of the Plym Valley trail, However most are illegal and with signs asking us to stick to the main trail, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a go. It is very tempting mind. If you are after something new, why not try the new trail near Morwellham Quay. It scared the c**p out of me but it might be up your street. I think this grid ref might help you find it SX 457 693. I don't know if it is officially open yet.

Otherwise, why not try some of the local woodland. The forestry commission guys seem to have a very laid back approach to usage along as you leave it like you find it. Denham woods is a favourite spot of mine for some fireroad climbs followed by rooty singletrack descents. SX 475 675

Hope this helps

BH