Cycling in the pyrenees

toffee27
toffee27 Posts: 10
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am after tips and advice, next summer i am going to argeles sur mur in southern France, the languedoc - Roussillon region. This is very close to the edge of the pyrenees! Has anybody been cycling to this area that can help. Advise tips or advise or web sites would be very usefull. THANKS! :?

Comments

• rouleur23
    rouleur23 Posts: 175
    got back from there yesterday.
    Don't ride with carbon rims. Not great in descents and the rain. Camp wild if you can. I had a great time pitching the tent up the Hautacam etc. I have ridden for years but this time went with a compact 50/34 and 12-25 on the back. Found it worked well. I had a car for my stuff so I ride free of luggage. Enjoy it.
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    My in-laws live near here so I've done some cycling here. There are some nice smaller climbs down this way near the coast. To get to the bigger hills you need to head inland. There are certainly rides that you can do from Argeles sur Mer of about 3 hours that will take in some climbs.
  • toffee27
    toffee27 Posts: 10
    Thanks for the advice!
    What sort of places should I be heading for out of argeles-sur-mur? Anythying around the 3-4 hrs would be good. 8)
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    You have a very abrupt change at Argeles, where a pancake flat plain goes straight up. There are countless easily accessed climbs, plus some interesting towns near the coast, like Perpignan and Collioure. Lots of big commercial campsites
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K