MB gear changes and new

jpstar
jpstar Posts: 561
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi im new to this but ive had a mountain bike for quite a while but have used it as a general bike. Bugt i have noticed that the gear changes (especially on the front mech) are rather slow. any ideas on how i can fix this or do i just need a new cable or replacement part?
Also does anyone have any tips on steps especially the ones that are in places like Nature Reserves (mainly uneven) this is because i was going down a hill where i didnt know there were steps and i wiped out. I really want to go try these steps again but finisht them this time.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    clean/replace cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Moose.
    Moose. Posts: 43
    Replace your gear cables with XTR ones:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=1597

you'll be amazed at how easy it is to change gear ;)

As for riding steps/drops, make sure your saddle is lower than normal, lean back loads (bum over the rear wheel) and go over them with a bit of forward speed. If you're going too slowly going into them you can end up stopping when the front wheel hits the ground, sending you over the handle bars.
  • jpstar
    thanks alot that really helped tried a set of steps i failed on badly last time i went and got confident enough to get enough speed to jump the lot! noly a small set but hey everyones got to start somewhere.
    also does anyone know where some good trails are in the Laindon/ Langdon Hills area of essex? i know of a nature reserve which is where the steps were and a golf course with some very nice drops but the golfers get a bit angry (which is a bit understandable) but otherwise i know of nothing in the area that has jumps and drops which i really want to get into. The nature reserve has a few very small jumps but they are really bumps :(. some help on this would be appreciated greatly.
  • Build some jumps! Get a shovel and start digging, you can make then exactly the size, shape and difficulty you want. Also something to do when the trails are too wet to ride.
    :)

Oli
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    thats a lot of help to me as well, just proves how much info there is for newbies like me here. What are gore ride-on cables like. I've seen there ads and they look pretty good but i've just looked and they're a bit dear but are they worth what they are, do they really affect shifting that much for that much cash. The xtr ones look good, especially for the money

Thanks, Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • jpstar
    i just bought a pack of shimano xtr gear cables front and back ones with covers 25 quid think i got ripped? but anyway they are very good although i had to go back to the shop becuase i have gripshifts and i couldnt get them just right but the rear one is brilliant although im not sur eabout the back one mainly because i havent fitted it yet. but if your in essex langdon hills area try cycles uk on the corner by the market as they are having a closing down sale :)