Wrong Tyres?

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Last week when I needed new tyres for my Dawes Audax bike, I decided to change from 23mm Schwalbe Blizzard (completely smooth surface tyres) up to 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Kevlar (tyres with tread).

I am surprised that this has made a such a big difference in the ride and feel of the bike. I expected that they would be slightly slower, but they seem more sluggish than I thought. More surprising from my point of view is the fact is that the ride is now very uncomfortable as I feel every bump on the road whereas I thought the wider tyres would be more comfortable if anything. I have the new tyres at the same pressure (90psi) as the old ones.

Just wondering what anyone else thinks. Is there usually a noticeable difference between 23mm and 25mm tyres? Are wider tyres not mean't to be more comfortable?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I have the new tyres at the same pressure (90psi) as the old ones.

Lower the pressure a bit - wider tyres tend to be more comfortable because they can be used at a lower pressure.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • You are comparing apples and oranges, so to speak.

The slightly larger tyres should have a slightly larger air volume, so they should be slightly more comfortable at the same pressure, all other things being equal.

However in your case all other things are not equal. You have gone from a slick race tyre to a treaded touring tyre weighing twice as much. The carcass will be thicker and less flexible giving a harsher rider, indeed the internal air volume of the new tyre may well be smaller than the original tyre. The thicker, heavier carcass will create more drag as will the relatively deep touring tread.

25c Blizzards would probably have given a softer ride without too much loss of rolling efficiency.

Cheers,

GJ
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker
  • ForumNewbie
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I have lowered the pressure to 70psi - so I'll see if that helps. I hadn't realised there was such a difference in the weight of the tyres, but I just picked up my bike and it does actually feel noticebly heavier than before. I'll see how the tyres go at the lower pressure, but I think I've just wasted £30, because if the riding still feels uncomfortable, I'll have to change back to the smoother and lighter Blizzard tyres.

It sounds like the Marathon tyres are more suited to heavy-duty touring bikes.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    If the Marathons don't suit you just resell them on Ebay, someone looking for tough touring tyres will snap them up :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • ForumNewbie
    topdude wrote:
    If the Marathons don't suit you just resell them on Ebay, someone looking for tough touring tyres will snap them up :D
    Sounds a good idea. However I'm not sure how I would box them up for postage, as presumably not a good idea to try and fold them?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    The mail doesn't just take letter shaped packages!

You can post them as they are, with a label.
  • ForumNewbie
    Scrumple wrote:
    The mail doesn't just take letter shaped packages!

You can post them as they are, with a label.
    Well, if I was buying them off Ebay I wouldn't be very happy if they did not arrive in a box - I therefore would not send them to a buyer unpackaged.