In search of a hard climb

2»

Comments

• scapaslow wrote:
    A couple of climbs i have done that have steady but not stupid gradients for around 4miles are
    1. Crow Rd (Lennoxtown - Fintry) in the Campsie Hills just north of Glasgow approx 275m of ascent
    2. Dunning to Yetts O' Muckhart in the Ochil Hills in Perthshire - approx 280 of ascent

Most of the hard climbs in Scotland have crazy steep gradients at some point. Last week i tried the Glen Quaich climb for the first time, both ways on a long ride. (Kenmore - Amulree) near Loch Tay and it was absolutely brutal in both directions. People were looking at me as if i was mad going up from Kenmore and cheering me on! The only pleasure was in reaching the top without walking.

The A road south from Aberfeldy that joins the Crieff to Dunkeld road looks to be a very steady 7 or 8% climb for 3 miles.

The two i've mentioned above are actually pleasurable to ride.

Also in Scotland:

The road up to the Schiehallion road end from Aberfeldy - about 4 miles at around 7% average (the Etape Caledonia descends this), plus the ascent to the same crossroads from Tummel Bridge to the North is steeper at about 8% average for 3 miles or so with a bit of 12% and no flat areas for a rest. About 250m of climbing either way.

The road up to the Cairngorm Ski Centre - nearly alpine? Switchbacks and up to 600m, although the starting point is over 200m. Trouble is that the road ends there -so it's a case of just turning straight back.

The Tak Ma Doon road in Kilsyth - 6 miles with 2 ramps of 15% and an average of about 8% and 2 ramps of 15%. This can be combined easily with the Crow Road (as has been mentioned) and Carron Valley, although some of the linking roads at the bottom of the hills are not so nice.

the Dukes Pass in the Trossachs. 250m in 3 miles, with switchbacks and tight corners all the way up from either side. Great scenery and nothing too severe gradient-wise.

The Hydro Power road from Glen Lochay to Glen Lyon and the Ben Lawers pass just north of that off the A827 Killin to Kenmore road. These are both longish climbs at moderate gradients up to 500m summits and the scenery is amazing, although the weather is often terrible!

The climb up to Cairnpapple from Linlithgow just outside Edinburgh is a good and interesting 3 miler with 250m of climbing.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    The nearest thing I had to an alpine climb in this country was crossing Harris in the Outer Hebrides. For example, the road North out of Tarbet is long, steepish and steady. Travelling South across the Island would give you a similar experience (but we did it in a bus!).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Some beauties in North Wales...

Milltir Cerrig, from Llangynog - climbs 1000 feet in 4 miles, steady gradient and stunning scenery. Or, from Bala, a bit less climbing over 5 miles but somehow harder - maybe cos I had a headwind that day :wink:

Bwlch y Groes, from Llanuwchllyn - 1100 feet in 5 miles, harder than the Milltir Cerrig but even more stunning IMO.

Horseshoe Pass, from Llangollen - 1000 feet in 4 miles. A close contender for my favourite climb (along with the Snake Pass).

Found a fantastic climb in the Clocaenog Forest early this year as well, from the village of Cyffylliog, climbing up and up through the forest to the windfarm right up on the top - 6 miles of steady climbing on totally smooth, quiet forest roads. Unfortunately the descent was terrible :( more potholes than tarmac.
  • Dinas dinille near caernavon from the church across rounabout up to the village of "fron"about 3miles,then a little breather on top to desend about 7miles into llanberis to do the pass nice stop at cafe at the top not sure on gradient but im sure with a bit of digging you could get it.also did you mean bwlch y gros near bala? if you think thats easy youre not human also in the bala area is the hirnant pass which drops down to lake vrnwy. Across the dam at the lake another cafe. out of cafe with lake on youre right about 3miles take a left and this is another pas sorry not sure of the name which is a good slog and brings you out at the top section of the bwlych y gros if you turn right uphill this road takes you back to bala with a challenging decent 38mile round trip.Also in bala the trawsfynid mountain pass.hope this helps.