child seats

locko75
locko75 Posts: 21
edited September 2008 in Family & kids cycling forum
Here's a quick qestion. Which childseat is best to fit on a mountain bike with disc brakes?

Comments

• Hi,

Its not that easy :)

The best seats are rack mounted. Hamax plus or Co pilot. If you can fit a rack then thats an option, Pretty unlikley on a mountain bike.

The other option are the prong mounted ones like the hamax sleepy and all the copies of it.

However, the prong mounted ones all fit at a default angle. If your seat post tube is at an odd angle or broken for an odd rear suspension design then your seat will end up at a silly angle. . My advice is to pop into a bike shop and fit one. It'll only take a minute or 2.

Worst case is a new bike or a trailer.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Consider this seat. www.loct.co.uk.

I've seen it used on a ride I led at margam for the mbr big w/e. No problems with handling on the rough stuff and it doen't matter what bike you have.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Or check out this thread for other suggestions - ie top-tube mounted or handlebar-stem mounted:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 2#14966982
  • I bought a cheap bike just for use with a child seat as I didn't fancy putting a rack or down tube clamp on my titanium road bike. I got a down tube child seat and find that my heels clip the front of my sons feet when I peddle properly i.e. balls of feet above pedal axle. I think that might be the case also with a rear rack mounted seat but could also depend on bike geometry.

The front mounted seat I looked at didn't work with road bikes and would require a bit of bow-legged peddling from the feedback I got. There might be other options.

I was realistic about the amount of riding I was going to do with my son and knew that it would essentially be a summer activity. I budgeted accordingly.

However, this morning I found another use for the child seat. I've been using the cheap bike as my commuting bike and got tired of carrying my back pack on my back. I also had a squash racket to carry as well. So I put on the child seat and loaded it up with back pack and squash racket.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!