Touring security: is it possible?

Greenman99
Greenman99 Posts: 2
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
I'm considering taking two mid-quality road bikes with me and my partner with my small car on a 3-month tour of southern Europe (France, Spain, Italy) next year, staying mainly in campsites. My concern is that the bikes could be stolen from the car whilst we are away from it. Is good quality security possible? What could we use? We will not take them if it's unlikely to be secure enough.

Comments

• Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Take the bikes, just ensure they are always locked to the car when loaded.

For that length of trip it's worth getting roof bars, as carrage on the back is really not for continual travel as in effect you loose the boot door.

A D-Lock for each bike plus a 2m Kryptonite cable shouldbe enough
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    If the bikes are locked to the door handles etc the thief would steal the car but would they bother with a "small" car?. If the bikes are outside the car then lock them to the car's tow ring or one of the wheels. Also covering the bikes with an old curtain will make their value less obvious.
    Chris
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    As you will have the car weight isn't an issue - so go for the sort of BIG "*&^ -off chain that custom bikers use. Anything that the "reviews" reckon need a power tool. Probably more vulnerable at night (unless actually IN the tent!).
    Could use an alarmed chain/lock e.g.
    http://sglocks.co.uk/tough_stuff.html
    BUT if some villain intent on nicking your bike on a site in the dark, probably best just to let them have it!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."