First Hydration Pack

platty1964
platty1964 Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys , this is my first post so go gentle :oops: ... , After years without a bike , i've finally took the plunge and bought myself a Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27 , which i am VERY happy with, i'm just getting together all the other essentials that cyclists need..i.e pump , multitool , puncture repair kit etc etc....now i obviously need something to carry all my gear in and i was looking at this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Camel ... 360029729/ has anyone got one and do you think its good for the price ...
:D

Comments

• hello and welcome :)
    I'm building my kit list slowly and was after the same as you...
    Eventually went for this..
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23894
    its only a 2litre pack, but for me thats plenty and doesn't mean i'm lugging about more weight. there is ample storage for all the items you mentioned too :)

or f you want a big bag... http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-17257285/ it scored 9/10 in MBR.

B
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    blowfish looks good, 3litres which is good. Maybe an alternative http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Camel ... 360028096/ Same price area but with a bit more functionality with storage and slimmer profile;

camelbak%20lobo%2007.jpg
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I have a Camelbak Chaos. It's well built and incorporates some good features, but the range of adjustability in the straps leaves a bit to be desired.

If you're on the large side of average (i.e. 6 foot, 42" chest, 34" waist, 13 - 14 stone) you may find that the harness is right on the limit and can be a bit uncomfortable.

Why not have a look at the Gelert Hydro Force. They're available from any outdoor shop which stocks Gelert and for £19.99 including a 2 litre bladder they're exceptional VFM.

I used to have one of these (in fact I had the next size up too) and the only think that I could fault them on was that the rubber bite valve would split after a while and you can't get spares. But having said that at £5.99 for a complete replacement bladder, I could live with it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Yukon Lad
    Yukon Lad Posts: 423
    i am getting a new one soon, my chepp but not cherrful £10 one, the bladder fell to bits. On the budget side, either a decathlon rockrider or that gelert one. On the more expensive side that North Face one they tested looks great, packed with useful features and has a brilliant system to stop your back getting sweaty underneath it, for £60 looks great but expensive for a hydration pack.

Thanks, Yukon Lad
    Drop, Berm, Jump, Sky, Sky, Sky, Sweet Beautiful Earth OUCH, OUCH,OUCH, ****! GORSE BUSH!!!

Giant Yukon FX2
    Kona Stab Deluxe 2008
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I've got a blowfish which is great for longer days out, loads of storage and the 3 litre bladder is great, on shorter rides I use a Lobo which leaves just enough space for a tool, couple of tubes and a bit of fodder
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    On the basis of buy-cheap, buy-twice, I'd suggest you avoid the cheap packs.

Over the lats two years, I've bought a 2/7 litre Aldi pack, a 2/9 litre Dakine Drafter, and just recently a 3/13 litre Camlebak HAWK and am immensely impressed by the HAWG, and so wish I'd taken the plunge earlier :?

The HAWG's far better laid-out, comfier, larger, and more practical than the other two packs. It also feels as though it'll last longer too.

Merlin are selling the Camelbak HAWG for a bargain £49.99 at the moment too (so long as you don't mind the brown version) so there's never been a better time to buy!
  • Cheers for all the advice guys , decided to go for the Camelbak Lobo ....getting it for £45 from wiggle...... :D
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Do you need 3 litres of water capacity?

That weighs a lot.

I have a camelbak Streamline, and that holds just 1.5L, which is fine for a few hours in an afternoon.

If it needs a refill, that isn't a problem, most pubs do it for free
    Richard

Giving it Large