17 mile time

The_0ne
The_0ne Posts: 35
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Had my orbea for a few weeks and tonight decided to go for a ride.

I did 17.5 miles in 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Is this reasonable given ive only been riding for the last 2 weeks?

It was mainly along dual carriageways

Comments

• bilsea159
    bilsea159 Posts: 256
    well done. I average around 16.5mph on most of my rides and I have been riding most days now for over two years.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    Well an average speed of about 17 mph sounds ok to me, especially for a newbie. Was it a flat straight smooth road?

Can't say I'd get much enjoyment cycling along a dual carriageway though. I've been cycling a little bit longer than you an am struggling to keep over 15mph average on the routes that I take! I live in Norfolk and cycle mainly on country lanes. Norfolk lacks hills of course, but there are a few inclines and undulations to keep me honest.

This evening it took me 41 mins to complete a 10.6 mile loop that I regularly do. It was the first time I've been out on my bike for two weeks and it was nice "unwind" ride after a busy week at work. I realise this was a very slow time compared to what many on this forum can do but the point is I enjoyed the ride.

My advice would be to vary your routes and distance and not get hung up by the time thing unless of course you want to get involved in races or time trials.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Halotope
    Halotope Posts: 21
    I am 14 and have been doing an 18 mile route as a training course for a about a year now and do it in 1hr 5mins and it has a few hills and stuff.
  • Sounds reasonable given the time you've been riding. Just out of interest, is that total time or the time on the computer thingy, since this doesn't count time stopped.

I tend to use average speed more than overall time. Getting to 18mph is the easier bit. Topping 20mph over that distance, given some hilly bits, tends to require some more time in the saddle.

I don't mind traffic but I find dual carriageways depressing to cycle along.
  • Halotope
    Halotope Posts: 21
    Yes Andrew its the time on my computer. Does that mean I do it in more time really then?? And is it still quite good?? :(

P.S There are a few quick section were i go 20 - 30mph

Tom. :?: :?:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    This kind of thing pops up alot on a few forums and I think it all depends on the rider and what suits them best. Some riders are super quick up the hills but not too good on the flats and visa versa.

It also depends alot on your athletic ability and how quickly you recover and how quickly your muscles adapt to a new sport.

I think you should not be bothered too much about what speeds other people are doing and just ride as much as you can without over doing it.

But all in all it seems like your on the right track so keep chipping away at the miles and remember to rest
    cartoon.jpg
  • W5454
    W5454 Posts: 133
    Your computer stopwatch function should have an auto stop setting.
    This means that when you stop,the stopwatch stops as well.This gives you a more accurate ride time and average speed.
    To see if it's on auto stop just spin the front wheel.When it stops spinning the stopwatch will stop as well.
  • lwilks
    lwilks Posts: 6
    I average 17.5 miles for an 18 mile moderatly hilly route on my daily commute, I ride a SS so I think his is not too bad.
  • Halotope wrote:
    Yes Andrew its the time on my computer. Does that mean I do it in more time really then?? And is it still quite good?? :(

P.S There are a few quick section were i go 20 - 30mph

Tom. :?: :?:

Yes, you almost certainly do it in more elapsed time, and, yes, that's a very respectable time given how long you've been riding. But concentrate on average speed rather than time.

If you're going for a pb (and who doesn't), look in particular at the uphill sections (which tend to drag down the average very quickly), getting down on the drops rather than cruising on the hoods (worth 0.5mph plus), notching up a gear (worth 1mph plus), and cycling rather than freewheeling downhill. Your legs will burn (good) but be careful to warm up/stretch before setting out and not to push so hard you injure your knees (very not good). And, as above, rest is important, as is diet and a decent night's sleep. There's a good couple of mph from technique as a quick win. After that it is just time on the road and effort.

Going out with a mate will also probably up the tempo, I suspect :twisted:

But a very good start :D
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Carl_P wrote:
    Well an average speed of about 17 mph sounds ok to me, especially for a newbie. Was it a flat straight smooth road?

Can't say I'd get much enjoyment cycling along a dual carriageway though. I've been cycling a little bit longer than you an am struggling to keep over 15mph average on the routes that I take! I live in Norfolk and cycle mainly on country lanes. Norfolk lacks hills of course, but there are a few inclines and undulations to keep me honest.

This evening it took me 41 mins to complete a 10.6 mile loop that I regularly do. It was the first time I've been out on my bike for two weeks and it was nice "unwind" ride after a busy week at work. I realise this was a very slow time compared to what many on this forum can do but the point is I enjoyed the ride.

My advice would be to vary your routes and distance and not get hung up by the time thing unless of course you want to get involved in races or time trials.

Your times seem similar to me, your attitude also, shame your so far away i'm in Bath and the people i know who ride are either super fast or get off and push up the hills, maybe we could start a web-site for like-minded cyclists who do it to enjoy it rather than to make there quads fall off!!!!!?
  • STEFANOS4784
    lwilks wrote:
    I average 17.5 miles for an 18 mile moderatly hilly route on my daily commute, I ride a SS so I think his is not too bad.

You must be a genius to bend the laws of physics in this way, give this man the nobel prize!!!!!!!!!!
    :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
  • STEFANOS4784
    p.s before anyone gets on there high horse
    :wink:
  • I find this very interesting. I took up cycling in Feb and started commuting regularly in Apr (40 mls each way), so do rack up a few miles, but still new to it all. I do undulating A road (about half way) and hilly b road for the rest. I do the 40 mls on ave in about 1hr:45min. And on the weekend have done the 19mls A road in a pb of 37min and back in 39min. I am 40 yrs old and can still lose another stone. I do not know if this is fair times or not, but really feel that anything is possible if you put the time & effort in as I started from a zero fitness base in Feb.
  • Chunkycyclist - That is impressive. Do you do that commute 5 days a week? What bike do you use?

I'm a MTBer, looking at buying a road bike to up my fitness and do more miles, and as I currently lift share with a colleague who lives about halfway along my commute, I plan to cycle as far as his to start with.
    Boardman Road Comp '08
    Spesh FSR XC Expert '08
  • Chunkcyclist: An average of 30.8 mph over 19 miles is very impressive indeed, especially after only a few months. That beats most club time trial records by some margin.
  • Thank you . I do 2-4 days a week due to varying work commiments and drive at least one day to take kit to and fro work. I use a alu framed road bike, shimano 105 kit and schwalbe tyres. Too far for mountain bike, 105 kit is durable enough and much cheaper than durace to replace (as I do tend to wear the teeth & bb out) and punture proofing is key, not wanting to be late for work. I also do at least 2x40+ mls on weekend, distance depends on weeks mileage. I aim for around at least 200+ mls per week and regularly exceed 320.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Very impressive indeed Chunkycyclist. Did you do those 2 times back to back - i.e. you actually did 38 miles in 1 hour 16 mins? If so, that's incredible if you've only been cycling for 6 months - especially considering Cancellara won the Olympic time trial this year with an average speed of just over 29 mph on the 30 mile (48km officially) course! Even if it was done separately, to hold an average over 30mph on a standard road bike with no aero bars etc for 19 miles is very good going indeed - you should join your local club and re-write their record books!
  • no not back to back, I wish, it was eyeballs out 188-197 on heart rate and wind assisted. the bars are set quite aggressively, right low down. I have been to a flat criterium course with a mate (on weekend no race) and on his bike with speedo could easily sit at 30+ mph on flat lap after lap.
  • julietp
    julietp Posts: 67
    You should think about competing or starting time trialling next season.
  • randellp
    randellp Posts: 12
    Are we in the beginners section here???

Chunky - those are astonishing times. I'm no expert, but I suggest a call to a certain David Brailsford might be in order! :D
  • Chris5150
    Chris5150 Posts: 107
    It really is incredbily difficult to assess a good time or bad time wihtout knowing the route...If it was dead flat I would expect to maintain a fairly easy avg of 20 - 25 mph, but hills upset things a little. My avg speed is 16 mph on a 2 hr ride, but it takes in the first hour more or less climbing all the way, to the highest village in Yorkshire I believe actually, Greenhow. Coming out of Harrogate that first hour avgs 13 mph, the second hour coming back round is substantially faster. I think the best way to judge your times is just by building up a record of your rides and comparing data as you get fitter.
    I never use the autostop on my computer because generally at 5 am starts in the country I dont have to stop anywhere on the route, however the times can change a little due to having to slow down for roundabouts or junctions etc