New rider - loving it!

jacobgibbs
jacobgibbs Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hey

I'm Jacob and i'm 19. Very new to 'proper' riding.
I always had a bike as a child, although it was usually a Halfords special just for doing my paper round on.
I haven't ridden for about 4 years and was given a full sus bike 3 days ago. (It was worth about £260 when it was new, it's not amazing but it'll do for now. Branded as Jenson?)
I've ridden it everyday and love it.

It's a mountain bike but i've only used it on the roads so far.
I did a 10mile route today and averaged 14.9mph, which I thought was quite good, but i'm not sure if you'll agree :P

My friends think i'm mad, but i'm obsessed already!

After spending a few hours reading posts on this forum I thought i'd join as everyone seems helpful :)

Comments

• Welcome Jacob,

I'm afraid to tell you its a very addictive game.

You are hooked , so sit back and enjoy the ride .

Dont get too bogged down in stats about how fast you can ride , just ride .

There is time for that later when you are fully adapted to the bike.

:):):)
  • It can be very addictive, this exercise thing. It can be a very short slide into spending four figures on bikes and equipment....Maybe thats just me :lol: .
    Try finding a club that goes out riding, they will often help new riders to progress, give advice and motivate. Thats the best thing to do, I think.
    p.s. Have you ever tried a road bike?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Cheers for the replies!

After doing two 5 mile rides on the first two days.
    I then did two 10 mile rides on the friday and saturday.

I had a "rest" sunday as that's when I play football.

So today I wanted to go a little harder, so I did 20 miles in about 1 and a half hours.
    Quite happy with that considering there were some rather steep hills to tackle on the way (which never really seemed to go back down!)