convert to flat bars or swap bike?

robbie7
robbie7 Posts: 292
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
hi there looking for some advise. i have been having back problems and i finally thought it was sorted until today when riding my back suddenly locked up again leaving having to ride 12 miles home on top of the bars. i was recommened when i bought the bike a trek 1.7 to buy a flat bar road bike like a sirrus but as my back was getting better i decided to go against this advise. i was wondering how much do you think it would cost to convert? can you use a 10 speed set up flat barred or do you think i should swap for something like a sirrus

any help would be great

rob

Comments

• the problem will be the gear shifters in that to the best of my knowledge 9 speed is the max for flat bars.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I punctured a disc last year and needed four operations on it.

My physio recommended I take up cycling to help with my rehab.

I have a Spesh Roubaix and I couldn't live without the drops. The variety of positions helps to keep things comfortable and means that pressure isn't concentrated into one spot.

My wife has a Sirrus (flat bar) and is struggling with lower back pain at the end of a long ride, simply because she can't change position.

Before you bin the drops, are you sure that the bike's been fitted correctly. I told my LBS about my condition and so they set the bike up accordingly. A day in the saddle's much more comfortable than a day at the desk (and more fun too).
  • Shimano did do a 10 speed flat bar shifter, which they may still do. I'm going to keep looking. If I don't find any phone 01603 626660. Streetlifecycles in Norwich did have some there.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    thanks for all your help i will have a look, also double check that it is all set up correctly