How fit/good do I have to be to ride for a club

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I've been cycling and enjoying cycling for a long while and recently bought my first road bike. I like the competitiveness and general fun of a group ride - the brief times I've ridden in a group.

I live in Norbury, South London and want to get involved in more group fun rides and perhaps competitive ones as well. However I have no basis to know how fit or good a cyclist you have to be to participate these - more competitive than anything.

How good/fit should someone expect themselves to be to cycle for a club? Are there any clubs, cycling groups in or around Norbury other than South Norwood Cyclist, DeVer Cycles and Dulwich?

When is a good time to join a club? (when does the cycling season really start)
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Do you mean how fit to ride for a club or with a club :D
    You could enter some sportives and you will end up in some sort of group so can judge fitness level then.
    For club runs, some clubs do 2 so there may be a slower one and a fast one.
    Roughly 14 to 16 mph av on flat would see you ok.
    Slower runs generally would not leave you and should ride to level of slowest rider.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would say it depends on the club, the club I am in have about 5 different levels of club ride, though a purely based road racing club might only have 1 or 2.

I would check on what clubs are in your area, and ask them what sort of pace the club run normally is, 14 to 16mph in a club run isn't too difficult, I have only been cycling again on a road bike for just over a month and can comfortabley keep up with the pace.
  • Compton77
    Compton77 Posts: 139
    DonDaddyD - There is a club in Addiscombe which goes from round Coulsdon way and Kingston Wheelers have there ride on Sundays. Tbh, i've never attended either, i'm more of a saturday afternoon cyclist though intend on joining in soon.

By the way, i'm local to you so if you fancy a riding partner let me know. My bike was from Dever's.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Compton77 wrote:
    DonDaddyD - There is a club in Addiscombe which goes from round Coulsdon way and Kingston Wheelers have there ride on Sundays. Tbh, i've never attended either, i'm more of a saturday afternoon cyclist though intend on joining in soon.

By the way, i'm local to you so if you fancy a riding partner let me know. My bike was from Dever's.

Sure!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game