Getting Back in the Saddle

stewartdiver
stewartdiver Posts: 21
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
1st post so here goes!

I've been riding a road bike for 10 weeks, only averaging about 100 miles per week, when I decided to add spin bikes to my training. I somehow managed to injure my left knee during that session and found it very difficult to climb stairs etc.

I thought the best thing to do is rest it.

Sure enough it has got better, and it has only been a fortnight, but I am really struggling to get back in the saddle for fear of damaging it again, and potentially being out for longer!

I really enjoy going out in any weathers, but am finding any excuse not to!

Has anyone else had this problems, or is it a case of cutting back the miles and proving to myself that the knee is fine and building up again.

Probably a daft question that has been asked and answered a thousand times before, but thought I'd ask!

Thanks

Stewart

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Did it hurt after a road session, or a spin session.

If it was after a spin session, and you haven't experienced it onthe actual bike, I would assume the spin bike probably wasn't setup as best it could have been, they don't really put any extra load into the knee to be honest.

Now there could also be a differnce in the intensity, the spin sessions are generally very intense, could it be that you were suffering muscle pain due to the intensity.

I used to have issues with one of my knees when I fist started riding again, which was due to seat height, but since putting my seat to the correct height, it has been fine. I alwasy make sure the seat height on the spin bike is setup the same way as my road bike, and I haven;t had any knee pain from spinning.

I wouldn't be afraid, just go out on the bike and spin it in a lowish gear, and see how it goes.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    eeerm, knee pain, don't come onto an internet forum. Go see a sports physio, generally one with experience dealing with cycling. Get it checked out, lots of physiological weaknesses manifest themselves at the knee so it is very hard to diagnose without you present so to speak.

You could try going for a gentle ride just to see, but if you get any pain at all then head back.