Newbie....addicted already!

jadeweed
jadeweed Posts: 74
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi All,
Picked up my new Hardrock sport yesterday and despite the downpours went out for my first ride in years! Used to muck about with MTB's years ago, but not been in the saddle properly for over 15 years.
Have to say....addicted already! Spent yesterday afternoon reading this forum, getting excited about my new bike....and then the weather turned.....who cares!!! Took it for a spin and got drowned as a rat....well worth it though...have to say ADDICTED already! (despite a wee bit of saddle discomfort!)

One question I do have...what sort of maintenance should you carry out after a wet ride?

Anyway, hope to be posting again soon.

J

Comments

• miket-62
    miket-62 Posts: 227
    Hi
    Welcome back to biking!
    And the British summer :x
    Saddle sore... Get some padded shorts
    Bike maintainance: Just wash is down as normal
  • lost-time
    lost-time Posts: 549
    Welcome back to the fold....

I always find it's good to have at least a £1000 left on the credit card for those sudden emergency (Impulse) purchases.... :roll: 8)
  • jadeweed
    jadeweed Posts: 74
    I wish Lost-time!
    It was tricky enough persuading the missus that buying a bike was a good idea...getting married in Nov, so all cash tied up :(
    It turned out easier than I thought though.....managed to get her to buy one as well! That way, no come back on my impulse buy!
    Once the Honeymoon paid off (2012 maybe?!) the credit card can go back to impulse buying!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Your paying off the honeymoon with funds from the Olympics, must be an Essex MP!!! :shock:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Hi jadeweed

been a tad wet this morning down in South Wales, set in the car for 10 mins at Afan and then realised it was ride in the rain or go home so I got wet.

Best advice I'd give for after a wet ride is wash the mud off while it's still wet and put some water displacer on the chain (I prefer GT 85, WD40 is also good) otherwise the chain will rust unless it's an uber expensive one. Just be carefully to avoid any parts of the braking system and don't forget to put some proper lube on before you next ride (WD40 & GT85 are not lubes).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result