Four day Tour - suggestions please

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Our first unsupported tour will be over a four day weekend at the beginning of October. Looking for suggestions as to where to go. We're based near Epsom, Surrey and we're not that keen on wasting too much time getting to the beginning or end of the route.
We're both fit and are planning on riding something in the region of 250 - 300 miles in the 4 days and are going to be camping.
Thanks!

Comments

• kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    A simple tour of Holland, Belgium and France is a good option.

I did a quick 3 day tour last year. Took the overnight ferry from Harwich (1hr+ from Liv St Station) to Hook of Holland, then 3 days of cycling to Dunkerque.

You could choose a number of ports to come back from and fairly unlimited route/distance options which are easy to change along the way. All three coutries are great to cycle in and I'd guess there's loads of campsites (good weather optional)
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Go to Wales. It's likely to rain most places in northern Europe at that time of year. Rather than take your wet weather gear and not use it, you might as well go to Wales and be certain to use it! It's also staggeringly beautiful, something I was reminded of pretty early on when recently did some of National Cycle Route 8 around Snowdonia. Check Sustrans for the route, it's easy to follow and also includes a classic stretch of stunning beach.

The area is obviously well set up for tourism and a good tour: you'd have to check availability of campsites everywhere for that time of year. The terrain is challenging, as can be the weather, but it's a wonderful place to be. Like they say in New Zealand, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes.

If you're interested in a route let me know.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • clanton
    Thanks for the advice! Have considered Wales but am thinking of going somewhere new for now as have done a quite a lot in Wales this year - 2 sportives and about to ride the Trans Wales MTB stage race. Currently thinking about riding to Lands End but this may be a bit too far unsupported in 4 days.
    Definitely worth considering Northern Europe though - where's good for riding?
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Take the train down to Portsmouth and go over to Brittany - classic riding in wonderful landscape (as the early pat of this year's Tour reminded us). The ferry connections are good, and even managed to persuaded Mrs Special K that an overnight n the ferry might be comfortable.
    You could conceivably go into Roscoff or St Malo and out of one of the Normandie ports. Depending on how much of an adventure you want and how much you want to rely on UK trains...
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • clanton
    Sounds great. Thanks for the advice.
    37927 Posts: 1
    Special K wrote:
    Go to Wales. It's likely to rain most places in northern Europe at that time of year. Rather than take your wet weather gear and not use it, you might as well go to Wales and be certain to use it! It's also staggeringly beautiful, something I was reminded of pretty early on when recently did some of National Cycle Route 8 around Snowdonia. Check Sustrans for the route, it's easy to follow and also includes a classic stretch of stunning beach.

Great isn't it, I've just found this forum cause getting into this cycle touring in a serious way so excuse me budding in seems you've done something close to us.

4 of us and had about the cheapest, funniest, most relaxing, boozzing, holiday, 4 nights cost less than £10 each.

We started off near Rhyl north wales and took cycle route 5 west to bangor, (little road use) then national cycle route 8 to cardiff lovely route again little road use, but we never got there (cardiff), turned round mid wales around Llanidoes.

We planned the route , had alternative campsites but mostly stayed in cheapo basic farmyard ones, then found some wild campsites in the hills and forrests. Purchased food on route to save weight so knew all the tescos on route. Built fires, druck too much, got wet, lived rough, then when 1/2 way though just turned round and went back. Lots of laughs camped out on a beach and in the morning found out it was a nuddie beach.

Advice if doing it again carry plenty of spare tubes, got though 6 and make sure all the tyres are the same size, & travel light oh and use cheap sites, one only cost £2.50 ppn and included a hot shower
    really looking forward to the next trip this september, group of 6 going these time
  • Gadge
    Gadge Posts: 135
    <We're based near Epsom, Surrey and we're not that keen on wasting too much time getting to the beginning or end of the route. >

But are you happy to go abroad or do you want a tour in GB?
    If you want a GB tour starting fairly close to home, try:

www.ruralrides.net/rrkacc8.html

Those who've tried it have spoken very well of it.