Freeride to XC convert

YourGymBuddy.co.uk
edited August 2008 in XC and Enduro
To cut a long story short I dislocated my knee a year ago coming off some north shore and after an op to repair my ACL 6 months ago I am now getting back to full fitness.

This said, I don't want to take the freeride risks at the moment. The op saw a third of my kneecap removed so until that is fully healed a reasonable impact could snap it in two which would require another op.

On that basis I want to switch on of my bikes. I have an uprated Kona Colier DeeLux and a slightly uprated Kona Dawg. I intend to keep the Dawgy for 'extreme XC' trails or whatever they are called these days.

I would like to swap the Coiler for something like a racy XC bike, something good enough to go single tracking on but light enough for serious climbs and the odd 30 mile charity road ride.

Am pondering between hardtail and full-sus but conscious of the weight penalty on full sus and the fact I have the Dawg for sus duties.

Any suggestions on something to fit my bill? Ideally would like to do a straight swap with someone for the Coiler but otherwise looking for something of similar second hand value. Any sensible suggestions gratefully received :D