Hello from a newbie...

g00ner
g00ner Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all and everyone

Thought I'd introduce myself as an unfit 40 yr old looking to start out in MTB'ing

Been green laning for several years on two wheels but the petrol driven variety (hope I'm not hated for that, provokes a strong response amongst some types :? )

The NERC ACt has all but killed that so here I am hoping to get some advice and maybe a few new friends along the way. I'm in Maidstone, Kent on the North Downs/Pilgrims Way so plenty of places to ride

I've placed the usual 'what bike question' in the relevant sticky so maybe some of you would be kind enough to share your thoughts

Cheers anyway

Comments

• thehoff
    thehoff Posts: 21
    you'll fit in with me!!! 35 defo unfit :lol:
  • Me too , been racing long distance off road motor cycles in SA until 2006 .

Now here in UK , no more thousands of miles of unfenced unpopulated land to ride on , so I'm back on the old Canondale Mtb .

Still , its 2 wheels , and it'll always be fun.

:D:D:D
  • A big HELLO fellow Newbie 8)
    Paul
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    Hello from a fellow greenlaner (albeit with 4 wheels) - though now I rarely do them on anything but the MTB.

As for bike - get out and try several, at proper local bike shops, till you find one you like that fits your budget.

Enjoy the new hobby. If you are unfit then it might be hard work to start, but it will get easier and easier. Two things I found useful when starting... 1) cycle computer, only a basic one that shows speed, elapsed time and avg. speed and 2) try and vary your routes and have one route with a nasty hill in it that you only do occasionally.

Both are great motivators as they help to show how your fitness is improving. At first I had to walk up my "hill" route, then I could cycle it but be dead by the time I got to the top, now it's usually pretty easy.