I hate getting a new bike

Phekdra
Phekdra Posts: 137
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
So my frame dies after six months - sufficient time for the bike to have become simply 'the bike' as opposed to that gorgeous thing I must wash for 2 hours every day and guard with my life.

Now I have a new frame (not particularly expensive) and I'm back to square one... it's so shiny! 8)

There was me planning on getting a Wilier Mortirolo next year - the damn thing would never leave the house...

Phekdra

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Selecting and buying and riding a new machine is one of life's great pleasures if you ask me, just enjoy it man
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I know the feeling. I'm still pampering my Izoard and I've had that since early April. I've been luckly enough not to get caught out in the rain so far and I don't go looking for bother. Part of me thinks chipping the paintwork on it might not be such a bad thing :twisted:
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    frames dies after six months :shock: ? If its a crash ok but if its fatigue I would be keen to know what the frame was (so I could avoid it like poison)
  • Phekdra
    Bugly wrote:
    frames dies after six months :shock: ? If its a crash ok but if its fatigue I would be keen to know what the frame was (so I could avoid it like poison)

I have another semi-hysterical thread about it somewhere in this forum. :oops: It was a Focus Mares Cross and the bottom bracket probably wasn't tightened sufficiently in the first place and wore away the threads. Probably more to do with the quality of assembly than quality of the frame, which was otherwise pretty nice.

Phekdra
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    That's why you need a winter bike too.

I'm in the process of building up a wish list for a winter self-build...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Nuggs wrote:

I'm in the process of building up a wish list for a winter self-build...

Exactly! I was so distraught after this years Etape, my beloved Prince which has never really seen rain, got drenched and covered in what I can only surmise was sheep poo - which by the way is a complete sod to remove, I've actually scuffed the paintwork a little bit trying to get it off, only noticeable from very close up but enough to irritate me beyond belief. To top thins go ff I crashed as well so scuffed my immaculate carbon cranks, levers, saddle and destroyed my "Hudz" hoods, grrrrrrrrrrr. July in the South of France and it bloody rains.

By the way the Mortirolo is a lovely bike.
  • Phekdra
    Nuggs wrote:

This is my winter bike! I just need a summer bike, now... :D
    By the way the Mortirolo is a lovely bike.

I just ... have ... to contain myself until the spring. It's getting to be a toss-up between that and the Viner Magnifica, but the Wilier has a much more evocative name. Just thinking about it makes me want to go and climb a mountain.

Phekdra
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    got drenched and covered in what I can only surmise was sheep poo - which by the way is a complete sod to remove

You don't know what you are missing - in North Wales from the spring to the winter there's all sorts of mud and poo centremetres deep on the lanes (unless it's raining). At least in winter it rarely doesn't rain and there's less farm activity so the lanes stop pretty clean.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    got drenched and covered in what I can only surmise was sheep poo - which by the way is a complete sod to remove

You don't know what you are missing - in North Wales from the spring to the winter there's all sorts of mud and poo centremetres deep on the lanes (unless it's raining). At least in winter it rarely doesn't rain and there's less farm activity so the lanes stop pretty clean.

Very different from Derbyshire then. In Winter the lanes we use most are often awash with mud - particularly when it rains and tractors distribute it democratically on every bit of lane they can reach :)

It was a bit like that today on our old folks Wednesday ride. We ended up chickening out after lunch and rode straight home so only clocked 50 miles.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster