Ribble winter Audax bike.

fuzzynavel
fuzzynavel Posts: 718
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
When selecting the front chainset you get the options of "170 39/52" and "175 39/52"

what do the 170 and 175 bits mean?
17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Crank lengths in mm
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • fuzzynavel
    Crank lengths in mm

Sorry...technical terms go over my head...I'm still very much a newbie!

Diameter of the front crank possibly?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    it is the distance from the center of the axle the pedal arms spin on to the centre of the axle the pedals spin on, measured in millimeters.
  • Generally longer crank arms suit people with longer legs. 170mm is pretty much the standard length, so that would be the safe bet.
  • fuzzynavel
    stabilised wrote:
    Generally longer crank arms suit people with longer legs. 170mm is pretty much the standard length, so that would be the safe bet.

So it is the length of the pedal arm basically...give or take a little bit...
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    That's right. You'd have to be pretty tall to want 175mm. Does depend on riding style too but assuming that you are not over 6ft then I wouldn't go for the longer one. There is usually a 172.5 option too. I'd ring up ribble and ask or E-mail them.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • fuzzynavel
    passout wrote:
    That's right. You'd have to be pretty tall to want 175mm. Does depend on riding style too but assuming that you are not over 6ft then I wouldn't go for the longer one. There is usually a 172.5 option too. I'd ring up ribble and ask or E-mail them.

Need to get the money sorted out then I will give them a call and see if they can help.

cheers for everyones help