Cat and Fiddle challenge

marco67
marco67 Posts: 91
Hi
I am thinking of entering the said event - need a challenge about that time of year and its for a great cause BUT can anyone tell me about the climb. I have been trying to find a profile of the climb but can't find one - can someone point me in the right direction.
cheers
Ciao Marco

Comments

• fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Also http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/CF ... lenge-2007
    (Show>Elevation Profile) There is some downhill bits 1/2 and 2/3rds the way up, really quite quite gentle after the first couple of miles. The second lump after the Cat is Axe Adge by the way, quite a bit shorter but a little bit steeper.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    its easy enough, toughest bit is the first couple of miles out of macclesfield, about 8-10% then it eases off abit after that, about 6-8%. As said, theres a few downhill bits before it heads up again to the cat pub. The road surface as you bear left out of macc under the trees is shocking btw!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Got a link for this event?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    cf.jpg

found this from my garmin. The cat starts at 22'ish miles. :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
  • marco67
    marco67 Posts: 91
    Thanks for all your replies.

Looks like I can make it up there - just slowly!
    Ciao Marco
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The cat's not a hard climb - the first couple of miles are - as said earlier - terrible road surface after the long straight section out of Macclesfield, you hit the first left hander and the road starts to go to bits...... once you get out of the trees and onto the first hairpin, then after this it's fine if you are used to long climbs. Fairly undulating, a flat bit in the middle, but subject to cross winds. It can actually be a fast climb. I love it !!!

I know it well, have even come off coming into Macc - the bends on the flat sections were covered in milk from tankers on hot afternoon - hence me removing a 6 inch square patch off my ass..... rode 15 miles home with my butt showing that day...all part of the fun.

I fancy doing this, it passes near'ish to my home, but means driving out to Rourke's... but must not take the credit cards as one of his 953's would be on order...... :twisted:
  • Did this event last year. Great day out and the weather was just fine. The climb out of Macc-The Cat- is lovely and not difficult. Agree about the road surface just out of town. Axe Edge is steep but doable if no headwind is blowing. The really hard part for me was the last four hills back into Stoke- especially Brown Edge, bad cramp made me fall off my bike........
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    The climb is about 6.5 miles long, but never really steep (I am assuming it starts from Macclesfield).
    The first mile is at about 7%, then it becomes a long drag and with good legs you should go up on the big ring. Some bits are actually flat or even slightly downhill. Overall is less than 4%, but this is not very indicative.

As for times, my PB is at 26 minutes, although it really depends where you start, generally the start is a few hundred yards away from the junction, where there are no more parked cars.

I think when they did the national championship of hillclimbing the winner got up in 19-20 minutes... that's your target then... :lol:
    left the forum March 2023
  • zenzinnia
    zenzinnia Posts: 698
    To err is human,
    but to really screw things up you need a shimano - campag mixed drivechain.
  • Try the following website. It gives a photo tour in 86 photos up the climb.

It's from a motorcyclists point of view but ignore the "ton-up" type jargon.

http://www.derekmobbs.com/CatAndFiddle/index.asp
    Here's a box,a musical box. Wound up and ready to play.
    (brian Cant,Camberwick Green).