Halfords again...

dave99
dave99 Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
from having a quick look around the forums it seems halfords should be avoided. However, having not really ridden a bike for many years I want to get something cheap at first that will let me see how I get on. I'd like to start cycling a bit as I am living around hills and countryside now, but I dont see the point in spending several hundred quid if I give up after a few weeks and let it rust in the back yard :D

Is there anything fundamentally bad about the bikes you can pick up for 100-150 quid at halfords? At first glance they look decent bikes, with suspension, disc brakes etc. There are quite a few "Trax" branded bikes but cant find much about them on t'internet. :oops:

Comments

• impished
    impished Posts: 1,092
    If there's one thing that is guarenteed to make you give it up and leave it rusting (if you survive :shock: ), it's a £150 full-susser from Halfords!!!! DO NOT fall for their marketing hype. If you must use Halfords get a hardtail.
    Better still, go to your LBS (or 2), explain how little you wanna spend, and that you will be spending more with them in the future and as soon as they see future ££££ they'll be more than happy to help.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    dave99 wrote:
    Is there anything fundamentally bad about the bikes you can pick up for 100-150 quid at halfords?

Yes.

They're cheap, nasty, heavy, poorly designed, have a short lifespan and would probably put you off cycling for life.

Save your pennies for another couple of months, then keep away from Halfrauds and go to a reputable independent dealer (if you don't know where, just ask and let us know where in the country you are - somebody will push you in the right direction) - look at spending around £200 to £250 on a decent budget hardtail.

Don't forget to factor in a few extra quid for helmet, undershorts, few basic tools, etc.

If you want to have a "try out" before you buy, why not visit a trail centre such as Llandegla or Dalby Forest, hire a bike for the day and have a play?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • quagmire man
    quagmire man Posts: 39
    edited August 2008
    DAVE99 i couldn't agree more with IMPISHED Halfords bikes look flash but ride and work bad for the money, as he said go to a local bike shop and talk to them. I was in the same position as you not long ago and borrowed a cheap bike of a mate to see if it was something for me and was bitten with the bug, had it serviced and have now bought a hardtail mongoose tyax comp for £230 and never looked back its brill for work or XC I do Dartmoor XC every weekend and love it so if you can borrow a bike first or buy a basic cheap second hand one for work and then stretch your budget to £200 to £250 you'll be a happier MBR. :D
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    I just picked up a decently specced bike for ~£230 from eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=011

OK I guess the frame might not be the best but for the price and spec you cant really grumble IMO.
    Cheers, Stu
  • dave99
    dave99 Posts: 3
    ok, I'll go and see my local shop - there is one not too far away. I was just a bit wary about them only having expensive bikes after looking at their website!
    http://www.thecyclery.co.uk/
  • impished
    dave99 wrote:
    I was just a bit wary about them only having expensive bikes after looking at their website!
    They're unlikely to advertise their bargain-basement kit on their flashy webbie, TBH.

Also, if you're employed, have a word with the boss to see if they'll run a Cycle to Work scheme. Huge savings to be had there.
  • impished
    Oh, and remember; DO NOT under any circumstances, let them talk you into buying a full-squisher at your price bracket. It WILL be crud.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i dont want to throw a spanner in the works but halfords actuallly sell some decent bikes, they have bad track record with sales and service but the carrera range is well worth a look and if you were to buy from them, you can take the bike bike back to deal with any problems you have. i know the bikehut in cambridge are pretty good, i have been well serviced by them in the past (fnaar fnaar!! :twisted: )

the vulcan always scores well and as a sub 300 quid bike offers loads of bang for your buck.

be aware, in this sport/hobby you reall do get what you spend, cheap bikes will die very quickly and will be hard work, but if you can stretch to 300 quid you will be set for choosing a decent bike from lots of reputable manufacturers.

i know this is a lot of cash for something but it will represent a bike that will last for years as oppose to weeks and will make riding more fun.
  • Cool picks IMPISHED 8) and DAVE99 when i bought my bike from the LBS i also got 3 free services a year for life. worth £60 or £70 ayear worth asking if they do any deals.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited August 2008
    Halfords will be fine if you know what you want, and don't care much for after-sales service. Of course this will vary from shop to shop.

As others have said, there is no point whatsoever in buying a £150 full sus bike. It will be a 100% shed and totally unsuitable for mountain biking. It is a little bit cheeky that they can call them moutain bikes at all.

Halfords sell some very good commuter and top end bikes - again if you know what you are looking for. Remember that much of the Halfords stock is exclusive (GT Aggressor is akin to GT Avalanche range for example) and you won't find much info on any manufacturers websites.

Ooh, look at me sounding all knowledgable and I still haven't bought a new bike yet. My old trusty rigid Ridgeback that served me so well on road and rough for over 12 years was just nicked :x and I'm now in the market for a decent hardtail. I actually looked at the Aggressors as my company has a discount at Halfords stores. I quite liked them.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • i've had no problems with the halfords guys in blackpool....bough my bike fine, just taken it for a 6week service where they bled the brakes and did a safety check for free. the brakes are now 200% better and they kept me informed as to what was happeneing...still can't fault them and its the 2nd bike i've bough from there now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Halfords bikes under 200 quid are generally poor. Above that, they are some of the best you can get.
  • Neilio
    Neilio Posts: 60
    duckson wrote:
    I just picked up a decently specced bike for ~£230 from eBay;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=011

OK I guess the frame might not be the best but for the price and spec you cant really grumble IMO.

Theres nothing wrong with that bike pal, you got a good deal on that, been selling the Coyote's in our shop for a couple of years now with no problems and they always come better specced than similar priced bikes.

Let me know how you get on with it, would love to get some feedback on them.
    Kona Caldera 08, hope, easton, SLX parts.

Kona Kilauea carbon, deciding spec.
  • thehoff
    thehoff Posts: 21
    i thought about a coyote, and to be honest every bit as good as the bike a got. just a bit cheaper.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Coyotes tend to have cruder frames, which weigh a little bit more.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Supposed weight is 31.5lbs, how does this stack up against other bikes?
    Cheers, Stu
  • Neilio
    Neilio Posts: 60
    Coyote frames for 08 are a lot stiffer than the 07 frames due to a 80% re-working of the tubing.

Yes they are not the lightest things on earth, but they are well specced and have a very neutral riding feel.

Not going to say they are the best and everyone should have one as i dont even ride one myself, despite working for them.

Only thing letting them down is the lack of reviews in mags, that i have been trying to sort for the last 6 months :roll:
    Kona Caldera 08, hope, easton, SLX parts.

Kona Kilauea carbon, deciding spec.