Gold, Sliver and Bronze

Many sportives use gold, silver and bronze categories to class the performance of their riders.

Does any one know how these are calculated? I believe that it is based upon a French sportive system that incorporates ascent and distance. But I have yet to see a formula.

I only ask due to my own interest in establishing a set sportive training rides for my Club. It would be helpful for planning routes and expected times, etc etc.

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Just been looking at this sportive, it seems their gold, silver, bronze is calculated by time taken/average pace.

http://www.southernsportive.com/index.php?go=sunday&page=routes&eventid=242
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think it's down to the organiser. Some events are extremely difficult to achieve gold standard in (etape is one I believe), yet others may seem relatively easy. I think gold for the Woodcote sportive is about 17mph for 1300m of climbing which doesn't seem too bad.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    In the Marmotte (174 km/5000 m), the cut-off time for silver is 20% longer than the cut-off time for gold. How the cut-off time for gold is decided, I don’t know, but it usually turns out to be about 35-50% longer than the winner’s time in each age/gender group. Accordingly this makes the cut-off time for silver about 60-80% longer than the winner’s time in that age/gender group.

These percentages are fairly generous compared to other events, e.g. in the Nivolet (150 km/3200 m), the cut-off time for gold usually turns out to be only about 20-25% longer than the winner’s time in each age/gender group, and the cut-off time for silver only about 40% longer than the winner’s time in each age/gender group.