Trailbreak Sunday Sportive - 17th Aug

hammerite
hammerite Posts: 3,408
At Woodcote, Oxfordshire this coming Sunday.

Anyone done the route before, if so what is it like?
How difficult are the hills?
Are the events well organised?

Thinking of doing this as my first sportive and second organised ride (the first was a 60mle charity ride yesterday).

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I am doing this on sunday, sorry have no idea what the route is like but its apparently hilly i heard. The max gradient is 14%, i did one couple of weeks ago and there at least four climbs of more than 20%! These are apparently well run, the one on sunday is a little smaller scale and noy so busy would make a good first sportive. Just take it easy and you will be fine. :)
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • I'm in too did the 3 Counties (50 mile) slightly east of Woodcote in June there arn't too many climbs in the TV area, looking forward to mit.
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I'm thinking of doing it as it's local to me. It's in the Chilterns largely which means steep climbs (10-15%) of a shortish length (maybe around 1-3km typically) and some draggy valley roads. I would expect it to be reasonably tough, as the small lanes and repeated sharp climbs will make it difficult to keep momentum or get much benefit form group riding. It will be harder than most charity rides, but should be easier than the 'big' sportives like Dragon Ride etc.

I don't know about the organisation, but I'd imagine it will be pretty good from what i've heard.

If I'm there, I'll probably be wearing a Reading CC jersey and riding a Time - say hello if we pass!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I often commute oxford to marlow across the chilterns, the hills are okay, but watch out for the fast downhill corners, with all the rain a lot of crud has been washed off the banks and into roads making some of them lethal...
  • knight2k
    knight2k Posts: 119
    I'm looking forward to the ride on Sunday.

I've done a couple of these Sunday Series events and found them to be very well organised and a great introduction to Sportives.

I hail from the Chilterns and enjoy the hills - generally short and sharp. As mentioned previously they're usually only a few kms long too, but there will be a lot of them.

Best of luck.
  • hammerite
    thanks for the replies guys.

What distance are you going for? If I get time off for good behaviour from the Mrs I'm planning on doing the 94k route.
  • Simon Notley
    I've entered the 122km, will be trying to get there as early as possible.
  • wicked
    I too have entered the full route, am going to try to get there early but have a 2 hour drive!
    If you see me on a white orbea orca say hello! :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • benningj
    benningj Posts: 16
    Hi - I moved to the area recently and there are a few shortish climbs, it is my first sportive also and I'm hoping to drag my 35yr old bones into the silver category for the 95KM mid route, but to be honest I'll just be pleased to get round on my first time.

Looking forward to it regardless of what the weather throws at me!
  • knight2k
    Full route for me too!

Just had a gander at Metcheck - I fear there may be some water falling out of the sky. Ho-hum!
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    I haven't looked at the route (will do so in a second,but used to Live very close by in Henley and commute across country through to Goring-on-Thames. I can only think of a few stinkers of hill sin the area, mercifully relatively short climbs, but a nice place to cycle. I am kicking myself that I have moved. Oh well

Enjoy the ride!
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Just had a look at the map. There is quite a hill down into the valley as the route goes down into Goring - which it looks like you have to climb pretty much straight up again. It is lovely fast gentle downhill bit,then gets pretty steep once you get past the cemetry with a left right at the bottom. (check your brakes!)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    Whilst out on a local spin today I came across the orange sportive route markers familiar to me from the Princes Risborough Sportive earlier this year and without any real thought suddenly found myself following the route for about 30 miles. For those who know the PR Ride some of Sunday's route is the same and other bits the same roads in the opposite direction. One of the stiffest climbs in the area from the Hambledon Valley up past the Luxters Vineyard is included and I certainly needed 34 x 26 for that bit!
    There is one particularly dangerous section after a signposted feed station where riders are taken up an A Road heading away from Henley on Thames very near to where a Reading CC rider was recently killed so take real care on this bit.
    Today the weather was perfect. Wish I was free to ride the full route on Sunday.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    I'm familiar with the area and had a look at the course, as I'm doing it as well. Nothing to worry about, 3-4 steepish short climbs, possibly the steepest is the one that goes up to the Winery/Brewery not far from Hambleden and Skirmett.
    Overall is 1 Km% of climbing, which isn't much really.
    Nice course. I've done a Trailbreak sportive before, they're very well organised, but food stations are rubbish (they're up for the profit... )
    left the forum March 2023
  • ugo.santalucia
    Finished in 4 hours 27 minutes and 2 seconds, unless they round up I'm out of gold for two seconds... :(

Anyway, lots of dirt on these lanes, locked the brakes a couple of times, did a few rodeo numbers and a bit of manual ABS to stay on the saddle.

Tougher than I expected, I think it was more than the 1300 vertical metres they claim, anyone with an altimeter?
  • wicked
    Well you did better than me 5 hrs 2 mins although lost a lot of time with punctures. I dont think i have ever seen so many punctures!
  • ugo.santalucia
    wicked wrote:
    Well you did better than me 5 hrs 2 mins although lost a lot of time with punctures. I dont think i have ever seen so many punctures!

I was very lucky to get away without punctures today. The Risborough sportive in April (Trailbreak as well) was the same, lots of punctures, I think it's because they choose all these back lanes with tons of dirt and gravel.

A guy on a Colnago overtook me three times and punctured twice, still managed to finish just ahead of me... wow!
  • magliaceleste
    magliaceleste Posts: 748
    edited August 2008
    I thought it was a really nice and pretty testing route (considering the length), ruined a bit by crud on the road, probably not the organizers fault. I'd rather the lanes than A roads.

I got two punctures which put me outside Gold and into Silver at 4:42. In fact when I put the bike away in the car I had a third puncture!, when I checked after getting home the tyre had holes in a few places, new tyre required.

After two punctures I was pretty worried that I'd get a third out on the route. I didn't see any marshalls but apparently there were some. Also the start venue took a bit of finding.

All in all a top day out and the weather stayed good :)

Oh and I made the climbing 1614m.

[edit: time corrected]
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Entered on the line. Got there a bit late, and a bit pushed for time, opted for the middle distance route. Thought it pretty tough to be honest, the hills were relentless.

Finished in 4hrs 4m. Had a one puncture, and after fixing that checked out my front tyre before setting off again. Good job I did, found a nice little flint working its way through the tyre.

I was the fat old bloke in a High Wycombe CC top, riding a Look 585.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I thought it was a really nice and pretty testing route (considering the length), ruined a bit by crud on the road, probably not the organizers fault. I'd rather the lanes than A roads.

I got two punctures which put me outside Gold and into Silver at 4:41. In fact when I put the bike away in the car I had a third puncture!, when I checked after getting home the tyre had holes in a few places, new tyre required.

After two punctures I was pretty worried that I'd get a third out on the route. I didn't see any marshalls but apparently there were some. Also the start venue took a bit of finding.

All in all a top day out and the weather stayed good :)

Oh and I made the climbing 1614m.

1600mt is more like it...
  • hammerite
    Glad everyone had a good day.

Didn't make it over in the end, decided that I'd go for my first ride out with my local club this morning instead. Rode off to the meeting point and had a spoke go on me, luckily only 4 miles from home.

Kind of glad I didn't decide on going, I'd have been a bit annoyed at driving 60 miles for this only to get 4 miles down the road!
  • ugo.santalucia
    hammerite wrote:
    Glad everyone had a good day.

Didn't make it over in the end, decided that I'd go for my first ride out with my local club this morning instead. Rode off to the meeting point and had a spoke go on me, luckily only 4 miles from home.

Kind of glad I didn't decide on going, I'd have been a bit annoyed at driving 60 miles for this only to get 4 miles down the road!

Glad I'm not the only one with weak spokes... I have a pair of DT Swiss, lovely climbing wheels, but every 1000 miles, almost precisely as a swiss watch, one spoke goes... fortunately they're dead easy to replace... but...

Anyone wants a pair of Mon Chasseral?
  • knight2k
    Had a great time on yesterday's ride. Came in dead on 5 hours for the long route - missed the silver by 2 minutes. Damn it!

It certainly was puncture central. There were people left, right and all over changing or patching tubes. I was fortunate and didn't get any.

Had a slight altercation with a women on a horse who'd stopped in the middle of a thin country lane and took exception to me undertaking, I had warned her. I didn't want to crossover the puncture inducing gravel that went down the centre twice.
  • Simon Notley
    I was also luckily puncture free (and also encountered the guy on the Colnago with the two punctures). I went off early and was one of the first home from the long ride in 4h16m. There was a guy in front of me in black with blue/white shorts who I never quite managed to catch. I got within 10 seconds of him before the final feed but then never saw him again. I'll be looking for him on the results as he must have done a stunning time.

Simon
  • ugo.santalucia
    I was also luckily puncture free (and also encountered the guy on the Colnago with the two punctures). I went off early and was one of the first home from the long ride in 4h16m. There was a guy in front of me in black with blue/white shorts who I never quite managed to catch. I got within 10 seconds of him before the final feed but then never saw him again. I'll be looking for him on the results as he must have done a stunning time.

Simon

Looking at your picture you must be the guy on a Time bike who set off first with me and then dropped me after about 30-35 Km...
  • Simon Notley
    Yep, that would be me! Sorry about that, I hadn't intended to drop you, but that climb was so steep it was every man for himself! I certainly wasn't expecting it so I just puched on to the top. I rode on my own for almost the entire thing. I met Colnago guy and we rode together for a total of about 500m then he had his first puncture!

I hope I didn't appear anti-social. I had made it my objective to get gold and realised I needed to push on as it was a pretty tough course!

Simon
  • ugo.santalucia
    Yep, that would be me! Sorry about that, I hadn't intended to drop you, but that climb was so steep it was every man for himself! I certainly wasn't expecting it so I just puched on to the top. I rode on my own for almost the entire thing. I met Colnago guy and we rode together for a total of about 500m then he had his first puncture!

I hope I didn't appear anti-social. I had made it my objective to get gold and realised I needed to push on as it was a pretty tough course!

No problem, I was about to tell you not to wait for me, we were going above my capabilities and I was starting to be useless up front...

Sportive riders have to be ruthless!
  • 1st Sportive think I got the quickest time in the Full ;) and the most punctures , got up Sunday morning Puncture 1, after checking the bike and cleaning the night before replaced the inner tube pumped up , Puncture 2 :) , the nice gemtleman that was directing the cars for parking bought me a 3rd tube, clocked in crossed the road went 40 yards and punctured for a 3rd time :(

I decided that it wasn't going to be my day so I was back out and in in under a minute !!!!

Russ

Wokingham Berks