Fork lockout for road?

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
I assume if the MTB you are buying will mainly be run on the road having the forks with a lockout feature is important?

One of the bikes I'm looking at is the Specialized Hardrock Comp disc 08 which has a SR Suntour SF7-XCM fork....does this have lockout?
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• DaNnY77
    DaNnY77 Posts: 16
    yes the fork has lock out what is good if you ride on the bike everyday on the road and if you rid eto the track what is what i do and i have lock out after i swaped my forks and it is a lot better and less tyering

danny 8)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the SR Suntour SF7-XCM does NOT have a lock out.

SF7-XCM HLO and SF7-XCM MLO forks do have Lock outs. (2008 MY)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Dont sweat about fork lockout most people hardly ever use it Its mainly used by cross country racers who lockout the fork when they are sprinting for the line
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rd350lc
    rd350lc Posts: 84
    stubs wrote:
    Dont sweat about fork lockout most people hardly ever use it Its mainly used by cross country racers who lockout the fork when they are sprinting for the line

Not true.....i use mine all the time,makes a huge difference when doing road work or hills
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    rd350lc wrote:
    stubs wrote:

Not true.....i use mine all the time,makes a huge difference when doing road work or hills

I did say most people which means a majority

I have taken the poploc off my handlebars because it never got used and the poploc cable just got in the way
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • forgotrafe
    forgotrafe Posts: 637
    I had on-fork lockout before, but with new forks I really wanted one with a poploc (remote lockout). As rd350lc says, it's very useful and gets uses it all the time on road/hills. Others I know with lockout feel the same. So I would question the "majority" statement.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I use the poploc a fair bit, but tbh I usualy just wind the forks down with u-turn now as it stiffens them up nicely but keeps them supple.
  • apoc_reg
    apoc_reg Posts: 166
    I have lockout on front and rear accessible when riding and im always fiddling with it especially the rear which i will lockout if climbing or see a sticky patch of mud etc.

I only ever lock the front out on tarmac though
    '08 Scott Genius MC20

My Pinkbike Page: http://reg11.pinkbike.com/album/MTB-Stuff/

'11 Giant TCR Advanced 1
  • ride a hardtail, so rear is permanently 'locked' lol, but if i am on tarmac then pretty much alwys lock the fork
  • GibboGT
    GibboGT Posts: 287
    I use the poploc a fair bit, but tbh I usualy just wind the forks down with u-turn now as it stiffens them up nicely but keeps them supple.

I'm pretty much the same, don't have poploc but have lockout, usually just wind the U-turn down though. Do use the lock for hill climbing although not sure just how much less energy that requires compared to the U-turn at 85mm.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i dont think locking a fork out off road is a particular advantage, i would much rather my suspension is allowed to do its job (i know most lockouts have a small amount of movement when locked but 20-30 mm is tonk)

on road i could imagine it would help but ive never really understood how the fork bobbing affects your legs spinning?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    you're using your legs to compress the forks = wasted effort.

I'd quite like to try something with a platform properly set up, i still haven't got my floodgate where i want it yet.