Help me out please......

alwaysOTB
alwaysOTB Posts: 151
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I am looking to buy my first road bike soon, but I cant make up my mind and it is starting to get annoying! Here is what I am considering (budget started at 500 but has crept up a little)

Specialized Allez
Giant SCR 2 or 1.5
Bianchi C2C alu Sora (it has sora and I was looking for at least tiagra reallly..but i like the frame)
Boardman Comp (i know its from halfords, but happy to set it up myself...I think)
Focus Variado (105 for 615!)
Planet X Superlight Team (bit much at 700 but has 105 and a niceish frame)

So my questions..
Considering the elitist nature of roadies, would a be shunned for riding a boardman (v good bike from the reviews) or a focus?
Is it worth spending more to get 105 initially?
I dont really like the look of the giants... if I buy one will I regret it?
Should I be considering anything else?

Thanks

(1st post BTW)

Comments

• Min
    Min Posts: 12
    I just got a Trek 1.7, which comes with full 105,s witha rear Ultegra, all for 800, I would highly recommend it.

Also you can get 1.5 for 500, which comes with sora with a rear tiagra.

But i have read lots of good reviews for all of the bikes above,

However, i would strongly recommend you get your first bike, at a bike shop to properly fit it for you, rather than builiding one yourself until your more in the game. I bought mine from the shop too after having a similar dilema to yours.
  • My bike is on that list, thats the one you should get :lol: . All of the bikes are ridden by people on this forum and you wont get anyone telling you that they are no good. Best bit of advice would be to try and take them for a spin, find one or two that you are most comfortable on and take it from there. No point in buying a bike because you like the look of it but find it uncomfortable, it wont go anywhere. Also when planning your budget dont forget the extras :roll:

Welcome aboard. Are Roadies elitest? I hadnt noticed :lol: .
  • moorehen
    moorehen Posts: 95
    I have the Bianchi (Via Nirone) C2C Alu with Sora and have zero complaints.

As Stewie says - take as many as you can out for a spin and see how they feel and fit, then narrow it down.

My advice would also to not get to hung up on groupset. When I bought my Bianchi some people slated Sora and said it was rubbish, not worth considering etc. My Sora kit works really nicely and I used to own an fully Ultegra equipped Principia and I'd say that the Sora holds it's own really well. So long as you look after it there should be no problems.
  • unclemalc
    unclemalc Posts: 563
    Agree with moorhen. My 'bestest' bike is merely a Bianchi Nirone with Sora kit but its the best money I ever spent, and the guys in the LBS said that there was not a lot of actual improvement by buying the next level of equipment up. Just like when buying hi-fi, the law of diminishing returns sets in very quickly.
    See if the most expensive on your list is worth the difference between it and the less expensive choices, because as has been noted, a new bike usually means new accessories/kit/clothing to go with it :D .
    You may find the expensive one looks a million dollars but is horrible to ride.....
    Spring!
    Singlespeeds in town rule.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    IME the Focus is a great bike. I have a Variado Expert 06 and it's served me very well - relegated to Winter Trainer these days but I still love it.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Try them all, reject the ones you can't try

I had my heart on a Trek 1.7 or a Bianchi, maybe a Spez Allez Sport....

Tried them, prefered the Spez and bought it, it felt better for me. Don't know why but it did and I don't regret it at all.

The overall spec wasn't a major consideration because I want a bike I was comfortable with. That is the most important thing.

Get is what is right for you
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I'd say the Focus as well if you wait long enough you could get it for £500 with 105 like I did at the end of last year. Really good bike which got me a race win last week.
  • alwaysOTB
    alwaysOTB Posts: 151
    Thanks for all the help so far - its been really usefull. I am intending to try out as many of these as I can (when I find an LBS with a stock of road bikes), thought that excludes the planet x, the boardman (well i might be allowed to sit on it in the shop) and the focus. I'll add the trek to my list - your meant to be helping me choose not make it more difficult :lol:

If you would not mind answering another Q, im not sure about test rides - how long should I expect to get, and what should I wear, considering I dont have any roadie kit yet? I assume I'll have to leave a deposit - what is it usually?

Im also stuck as to when I should buy it. Ive heard people say that because of price hikes for next year there will not be many reductions so I should buy now (and get my bike sooner :D ) but then others say I should wait - is wiggle different to small LBS as to reducing bikes towards the end of the year, or does no-one really know what will happen? :?

Thanks again!
  • Min
    Min Posts: 12
    Well usually in places like Evans cycle, they charge you 1p on your credit card to check your details, and they keep your card as a collateral and you dont need to set aside any deposites, some local bike shops request for a full amount or in the region of 50 pound as a deposit.

When i test rode, i just wore normal shorts with trainers and a t shirt, since all your doing is probably going round the block a few times, i manged to get about 20 minutes on each bike though.

Things to try, if you get a chance is try it on a hill and on a flat, to see what it feels likes shifting gears.Usually going up a hill at a high candence is a rough way to check the comfort of hte bike in the limited time available in a test ride.

For instance the Trek1.7 i recommended, the '09 model has exactly the same specs and frame except for a slightly improved stem, (but the rear derailer is downgraded from ultegra on the 08 to a 105 on the 09) but the price went from 800 to 925,

if you can fit on a 56 or a 54cm frame you might want to check out this site

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek_1.7.html

You can buy a 1.7 for 700 which in my view is a great value