Continental 4000 S folding tyres

beakyboy
beakyboy Posts: 38
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of getting these tyres as I want something a bit faster, are they any good? The weather here (Southern Ireland) is quite changeable and the roads can be quite rough and pot holey in places. I currently use Schwalbe Blizzard sports but the there seems to be a lot of rolling resistance however, in over 1500miles i have never had a P..., touch wood.
May the wind always be at your rear!

Comments

• Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    I used GP4000 and over the last 12 months have had a couple of GP4000s's, they look a lot better and the side beads have not frayed on them yet but cannot notice any other differences. Good tyres, I would recommend.
  • The GP 4000 S are an excellent buy I have been using them for a while, I note
    you are using 'Blizzards' at the moment, if you fancy going for Continental have a
    serious look at their 'Gatorskins' there are more in line with the Schwable.

'The Best Rears of our Lives'
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I've got a pair of these, really good tyres wet or dry IMHO.

I've done nearly 2000 miles in all weathers on them, just begining to get near the wear indicator now on the rear tyre, front has loads of life left. I find them very confidence inspiring and they give good feedback and a good level of grip to.

Touch wood, no punctures so far either.
  • beakyboy
    Thanks for the info guys. Are they any good on rough surfaces?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Until this morning I had stock Kenda tyres that come with the SCR3. After 5 innertubes in 3 weeks (4 of which over the space of 3 days!) I consider them the spawn of the devil!

Today on my way to work I got my 5th puncture, went to my LBS and bought two Continental GP 4000s, I had always planned to purchase them (after recommendation from this site and in the LBS) and this was a good excuse to swap both tyres.

Immediate noticable difference! Far more grip and far less rolling resistance, I was averaging around 20mph on my commute to work (I have a backpack full with lunch, 2 bike locks and work clothes) on my Kenda I simply couldn't maintain that speed.

Flat out on the Kenda's I could only comfortably reach 25/26mph then grip becomes an issue, even then I only ever got that fast when cycling properly and not commuting with backpack. Today on the GPs I was reaching that speed without struggling, still mostly upright on the handle bars and with my rucksack full with work clothes bike lock and lunch.

All in all on a single ride to work I feel comfortable in saying that the ride was easier and a lot faster (accelerating and maintaining speed). I cannot say how the GPs will compare to the tyres the OP is already using and if they are good tyres any difference won't be as big as the difference I've experienced between Kenda and the GPs.

That said I feel that for me they were well worth the purchase.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • beakyboy
    Nice one DonDaddyD, keep us updated on the punctu** count if any. :wink:
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    beakyboy wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys. Are they any good on rough surfaces?

I ride on alot of potholed roads that are poorly surfaced and they are fine, also one bit of my commute is along a gravelly cycle path and they work OK on that to.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fricking great tires.

That is all.
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    edited August 2008
    I"m finally going to order some of these tyres as well.

I'm fed up of my Spec All Condition Armadillo Elite. Yes, they are the dogs b*llocks in the dry but a death trap in the wet. Even changing to a higher gear in these on the wet flips the back wheel out. Just too damn slippery.

Just ordered a pair from ribble for £19.13 EACH!!! :D
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Even changing to a higher gear in these on the wet flips the back wheel out.
    You are Jan Ulrich AICMFP.
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    These tyres are currently selling for £22.50 on Ribble instead of RRP of £33.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • NWLondoner
    cycologist wrote:
    These tyres are currently selling for £22.50 on Ribble instead of RRP of £33.

Or do as i did and spend £50 and get 15% off order so you pay £19.13 each!!!
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Has anyone used these and the Attack/Force combo ?

They both look like they use the same rubber compound, so I guess the same tyre but with the attack/force being front/rear specific ?

I'll be using them for a few crits, a road race and the odd club run.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    I've used the Conti 4000 and the Conti four season (which I think is pretty similar, just more grip) for riding round Dublin and Wicklow on my roadbike and fixie. I've no complaints about either - I've found them surprisingly robust with decent grip, and my spokes have suffered on potholes rather than the tyres
  • My Spech Rubaix came with spech tyres. Loads of visits from a certain fairy! I think the compound was so soft that it seemed to attract flints etc and they just stuck to thetyre. Mind you, they were a dream to take off and put on. Could do it by hand for th first time ever.
    Changed to Conti 4000s and no more visits! Shame they don't come in different colours but hey, great tyre.
    Downside from my point of view is with my Ultegra rims they are an absolute swine to get on. Deard to think how they'll come off. They nearly reduced me to tears when I made the "big swop". Just got to hope that I never have to mend a p*nct*re in the field!! It'll take me ages and ages.
    2 minute grovels can sometimes be a lot longer..tho' shorter on a lighter bike :-)

Ride the Route Ankerdine Hill 2008

http://peterboroughbigband.webplus.net/index.html
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    GP 4000S are great tyres ive done 2000 miles on mine and havnt had a puncture , have pulled a couple of bits of sharp grit out of the tread but the vectran layer does its stuff and stops it penetrating to the tube, brilliant grip in the dry you really can lay the bike over in a corner a long way with confidence and i havnt had any moments in the wet either so yeah highly recommended
  • NWLondoner
    kettrinboy wrote:
    GP 4000S are great tyres ive done 2000 miles on mine and havnt had a puncture , have pulled a couple of bits of sharp grit out of the tread but the vectran layer does its stuff and stops it penetrating to the tube, brilliant grip in the dry you really can lay the bike over in a corner a long way with confidence and i havnt had any moments in the wet either so yeah highly recommended

Cool.

Mine have just arrived from Ribble. Nice and shiny. Make sure I wear them in on a dry day first :shock:

Nice and easy to get on with Crank Bros. lever.
  • NWLondoner
    My god these tyres are fast 8)

Much better rolling than my other tyres.

Best £39 spent 8)
  • il_principe
    NWLondoner wrote:
    My god these tyres are fast 8)

Much better rolling than my other tyres.

Best £39 spent 8)

They are aren't they, you don't expect to feel that much of a difference but they roll and roll and roll. I'm considering trying the Attack/Force versions now.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Quick bit of help for a newbie reading this....
    Folding tyres v normal.

I know these (folding) are for carrying with you on rides, but I thought normal ones were supposed to be superior? Isn't there a normal version of this tyre that is better? I thought allowing a tyre to fold was a trade off of quality for portability?

I have googled the tyre and some sites say folding, some don't, so is there two version?!

Cheers
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    folding tyres have a kevlar bead which is lighter... and so is infinitely preferable
  • il_principe
    The GP4000S' only come as folding.
  • NWLondoner
    Folding option only.

The beading is kevlar which is both light and strong.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Just a rider to this. Been using 4000S for most of this season and very happy with them. But found them even better if use latex inner tube (seem to be both faster and more comfortable which is a nice combination). (Only rider to rider is that need to make sure rim tape is in good condition.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • beakyboy
    Well what can I say? Seriously quick tyres!! and great in the wet! 10/10
  • Nuggs
    I had my first ride out on GP4000Ss yesterday. Seem like great tyres - good levels of grip etc etc.

Not sure they make up for the sheer difficulty of getting them on the rim though! :?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Nuggs wrote:
    I had my first ride out on GP4000Ss yesterday. Seem like great tyres - good levels of grip etc etc.

Not sure they make up for the sheer difficulty of getting them on the rim though! :?

Once they are on, you never have to worry about taking them off again!!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • beakyboy
    Nuggs wrote:

I had no problems getting them on my Shimano 5600's, much quicker and easier than other tyres I had.
  • Nuggs
    beakyboy wrote:
    Nuggs wrote:

I had no problems getting them on my Shimano 5600's, much quicker and easier than other tyres I had.
    I have Open Pros and it took me hours to get the buggers on!