Newbies or returning riders ?

Geriatrix
Geriatrix Posts: 17
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Just an observation , it looks like most of us newbies are returning riders !

I have been and come back a few times over the years, now at 53 back again !

Must be something about the lure of 2 wheels and a pair of cranks !

Mind you , I read some where that
" a bicycle is a mechanical device propelled by 3 cranks, 2 on the machine and one in the saddle ! "

:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Must be something about the lure of 2 wheels and a pair of cranks !

Or the cost of fuel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • or the increase in waist size!
    Paul
  • And a good way to get out without the misses lol.
  • Or the cost of fuel?

Guilty
    or the increase in waist size!

Guilty
    And a good way to get out without the misses lol

Of course not! (She doesn't live with me)

I've not been away too long, rode a lot until I went to university and now at 29 years old, I've got to the point where a 3 mile commute seems a waste by car.

Obviously going by bike got me hooked again and there's plenty of good places to wreck my 15 year old CB Magna around here!

Now just waiting for my Bike2Work vouchers to come through so I can upgrade!
  • Yep thats a good way to spend money and get a good bike, about 10 percent of guy's at my work's have bought their bikes on similar schemes happy shoppin :lol:
  • Yep thats a good way to spend money and get a good bike, about 10 percent of guy's at my work's have bought their bikes on similar schemes happy shoppin :lol:

Yeah the only problem is its too good! Trying to stick to a budget has been hell! :twisted:

Have finally decided to stick to £500 but I'm now like a kid at Christmas waiting for his big present to arrive (except this time I won't be left bitterly dissappointed when it doesn't! :lol:)
  • The price of the bike is one thing its all the extra's and new bike parts you upgrade to that add up, just spent £150 on new SPD shoes, jersey and shorts then its back packs, cycle computers, new helmets and so on LOL :lol:
  • The price of the bike is one thing its all the extra's and new bike parts you upgrade to that add up, just spent £150 on new SPD shoes, jersey and shorts then its back packs, cycle computers, new helmets and so on LOL :lol:

Oh that's already started! Its fine though, just need to sell all the stuff I bought for other short-lived hobbies! :D This one will definately last a hell of a lot longer though!
  • thehoff
    thehoff Posts: 21
    defo the waist thing. wife kept telling me i've got to DO something!

i'll prob just eat more if i exercise, :lol:
  • bobbylank wrote:
    The price of the bike is one thing its all the extra's and new bike parts you upgrade to that add up, just spent £150 on new SPD shoes, jersey and shorts then its back packs, cycle computers, new helmets and so on LOL :lol:

Oh that's already started! Its fine though, just need to sell all the stuff I bought for other short-lived hobbies! :D This one will definately last a hell of a lot longer though!

Cant sell mine just store it in the garage or loft LOL. :lol: definatley the best thing i've done in years but don't tell the misses or she'll get :evil:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I'm just back in after a few years of very very rare riding.

Annoyingly, my lovingly restored Ridgeback rigid which I had recently stripped, and rebuilt into a slick-shod commuter has just been nicked! That has prompted me to get back up to speed with this MTB malarky and lo, I find myself on BikeRadar and my 2nd post!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.