Where in the Yorkshire Dales (starting Settle)

Mintman
Mintman Posts: 10
edited August 2008 in MTB rides
Firstly hello to you all, i've been lurking around as a visitor for a while and only recently thought that I should join: I thought that I would start with this question.

I'm off to Settle in the Yorkshire Dales for a week's camping with the good lady wife and we're both taking our bikes. I'm on a Trance and she's got a shiny new Trek Fuel Ex.

I gather that the Dales are a rite of passage for any biker and while we are there we want to do 2 rides that'll give us a taste of what it's all about.

So: any recommends for a circular route or 2 from Settle (20miles max) that would give two xc beginners a taste of the Dales? I've got an OS map so happy to plot it on paper.

I'm happy to make my own route up but i'd hate to pick a route which skips some of the great views/climbs/descents because I don't know the area. Or is it all great and wherever we go we'll love it?

Mintman

Comments

• Yeti575
    Yeti575 Posts: 291
    I'll get back to you mate. We devised a cracking route to take in Malham etc, with a few pubs in between, thing is it's on my mates Sat Nav so will try and get back to you asap. When you going?
    If it's not a Yeti, it's not worth riding!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Mintman wrote:
    So: any recommends for a circular route or 2 from Settle (20miles max) that would give two xc beginners a taste of the Dales? I've got an OS map so happy to plot it on paper.

I've got an absolute stormer of a route from Settle, taking in Malham Tarn, Mastiles Lane and Arnside Cote. Might be a bit much for you at 30 miles, but if you take all day over it it's well worth it.

If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a PDF plot of the route - even if you choose not to do the whole thing it'll give you a starting point.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • i use nick cottons 'yorkshire dales mountain biking' - the south dales and there's loads of good rides for all that area so try and get a copy and u wont go wrong. might b up for a ride or 2 in that area if u want to pm me. 8)
  • Mintman
    Mintman Posts: 10
    Yeti575 wrote:
    I'll get back to you mate. We devised a cracking route to take in Malham etc, with a few pubs in between, thing is it's on my mates Sat Nav so will try and get back to you asap. When you going?

If you get chance then that'd be cool, i'm not going until Sunday morning.

I've got an absolute stormer of a route from Settle, taking in Malham Tarn, Mastiles Lane and Arnside Cote. Might be a bit much for you at 30 miles, but if you take all day over it it's well worth it.

I'll drop you a PM, I reckon that we could stretch to 30 if she's feeling up to it. Are the trails hard going or can you get a half decent pace going?

Bongoslider: Cheers for the advice, i'm down in Bristol so don't know how regular a trip to the Dales will be, if that's likely then I reckon that investing in that book you recommend will be a good start.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I've only done a couple of rides in the Dales so far, but have used the following book for both and found it pretty good...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yorkshire-Dales ... 0954813162
  • jason31
    jason31 Posts: 40
    try riding down castleberg ( the cliff in the middle of settle ) it used to be my playground wen i was done after school lol