Decathlon Bike Service

Khai
Khai Posts: 19
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Just wondering if anyone has had their bike serviced at Decathlon. They charge £70 for a full service which seems fairly reasonable but just wondering if they actually do a good job of it?

Thanks

Comments

• Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    My LBS charged me £34 to build my old bike onto a new frame and that included new cables. £70 is extortionate for a service. Take it somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Decat, it is just a lot of money for something that should cost no more than £20 in your LBS.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Your LBS must be really cheap if they only charge £20.

I have a small one man local shop who has reasonable prices and he charges £30 for a tune-up (basically checking, lubing and adjusting everything) and £65 for the deluxe (stripping and regreasing everything and truing wheels etc).

Another LBS here is part of a small group and they have 3 levels - £20, £45 and £75 so the price you have been given doesn't seem unreasonable.

Depends what you need done though - a lot of the 'stripping and regreasing' stuff doesn't need done on modern cartridge BB's etc so you could get away with a slightly cheaper one where they just check and lube everything.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Khai
    Any recommendations on places in London? I was previously tempted by Brixton Cycles' Senior Service but that's £100. I have two bikes in need of full services so I'll take recommendations.
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    £70 for a full service at my LBS, it's always booked up so price and service must be right.

(never been to a decathlon, would that kind of superstore really give you the service of a good LBS, I doubt it).
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Looks like mine is really cheap for £20.. :)
  • Khai

I can recommend a few LBS that give outstanding / competatively priced servicing, but it depends on where in London you are based.
    weight.png
  • Khai
    I'm based in Greenwich. I have no problem travelling to get the service done though.