gps (garmin etrex) trackback on a circular route

newbie_cyclist
newbie_cyclist Posts: 202
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi
I find trackback works great on a linear track but on a circular track the gps just points me to the start. I've tried stopping the track a mile before the end so that the end and start are distinct but from the start if i select trackback to end it still takes me on the shortest route (ie a mile behind me rather than 40miles in front).
any ideas how to sort this?
thanks!

Comments

• melliff
    melliff Posts: 63
    I encountered the same problem when I started using my Etrex on my bike. I use two solutions:
    (1) Prepare two tracklogs: one to get halfway round and the other to get back home. You can then trackback to the end of each route with no problem. GPSU is useful for splitting one tracklog into two.
    (2) Use the one circular route but do two 'trackbacks', one to a point about half way around and the other back home.
    Works for me,
    Martin.
    Martin
  • OK great that makes sense I'll try it.

Also do you know when you are not using trackback and you've just chosen display map how do you keep your postion arrow in centre of screen and facing forward (I've set track points up and it works for trackback but not display track)

thanks!
  • melliff
    melliff Posts: 63
    I don't think it's possible. If you haven't selected a destination (via trackback) it won't know where the arrow should point.
    Martin
  • We have a Garmin GPS 60 and this has an option to reverse route as well as a trackback option, maybe you need to see if yours has the same option.
    Tarpaullynn