carrerra fury tyres

kenmare123
kenmare123 Posts: 3
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
just bought a carrerra fury through cycle to work scheme from halfords. first outing downhill at a decent pace and the back wheel felt like it was going to throw me off the bike. took it back to halfords where i was told not a lot can be done the, wheels not buckled but due to the rims being so light(sunxcds2) any variation in the tyre compound or even the valve itself can throw the wheel out of balance.to be fair the assistant did say if the problem persists( why shouldn't it ?) he could try another tyre. Am i being unreasonable in expecting a £500.00 bike to deliver a better standard of ride than this. any comments would be apreciated

Comments

• Chris5.5
    Chris5.5 Posts: 154
    I have the 2008 Fury and I have never felt this on the bike. It has the continental gravity 2.3's on it. Always descended fine and tyres gave plenty of grip, think the assistant is talking rubbish t be honest, a valve should not throw the balance of a wheel off.

Although I have now changed them for Panaracer Cinders as I found it almost impossible to get the gravity's off, even snapped 2 tyre levers trying and they created a lot of drag due to their size.

Chris
  • beski
    beski Posts: 542
    What sort of tyre pressure did you have in the rear tyre? I s there any play in the rear wheel? (side to side movement from the hub)
    Giant Defy 4 2014
    GT Avalanche Expert 2006
    Specialized Hardrock 1989
  • thanks for your input, i think i'll probably take the bike back to halfords and get them to remove the tyre and double check the rim naked to at least eliminate the posssibility of and buckle in the rim and then get the tyre replaced and have it checked again
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I loved my Conti gravities too. Never felt like that and the explaination sounds rubbish. Sounds more like something is loose in the hub area.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    how fast is fast? 40mph on a rocky steep downhill? or 20mph on a smooth grassy hill?

if the former, slow down?. if the other then sounds like something wrong?