oxymoron
oxymoron Posts: 54
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
I can get these bikes discounted through this scheme at work:

Allez Triple 2009 = £493

SCR 2.0 2008.5 = £463

Scott Speedster S50 Triple 2008 = £466

Felt Z90 2008 = £510

So what represents the best value? Im abit bemused by it all really. After some reading the Giant SCR 2.0 seems to have the best spec?

or should I look at other stuff?

Obviously I will need to try them in a shop a first. Just after opnions on the spec, ignoring the comfort factor for the min.

Comments

• TheHatter
    TheHatter Posts: 122
    The deals at Wiggle on Focus bikes might be worth a look first
  • oxymoron
    ok ill take a look tar
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Giant SCR 2 has the best spec IIRC as it has a mostly Tiagra groupset (shifters, front and rear mech).

As for frame not sure. I'd say try them as they are all comparable and go with the one that feels right for you.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • oxymoron
    hhmmmm the Focus Variado 2008 looks good value. £150 off. But £150 more than the SCR 2.0....

need to read more on the spec. The wiggle site says the Focus Variado 2008 is good for heavy riders. Me being 17 stone should crush it i guess.
  • The Allez would be the best bike if you are planning upgrades as the frames are really light. Cycling plus said that the frame was the lightest frame on a bike under £1000. The parts are Tiagra/Sora which would get you started. The Allez is fairly upright at the front, which is good because it means more comfort.
    I'd look at the Spec or Felt personally.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    If you're buying on the cyle scheme, it pretty much is a no brainer.

I already had nmy roadie, but ended up with a far better MTB than I could have aforded otherwise.

It's effectivly 0% finance with a large discount.

If you can aford it go for an Allez Sport
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • oxymoron
    its not through the cycle to work scheme, im not convinced on this scheme. Its all predicted figures, conjecture on the final lump sum amount.

If i'm gonna do this scheme I would need it to be a fixed contract, but it doesnt seem to be run that way. I can see you pretty much having to pay back the full amount anyway.
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    Get the Felt. Be a bit different.
  • Campy King
    oxymoron wrote:
    its not through the cycle to work scheme, im not convinced on this scheme. Its all predicted figures, conjecture on the final lump sum amount.

If i'm gonna do this scheme I would need it to be a fixed contract, but it doesnt seem to be run that way. I can see you pretty much having to pay back the full amount anyway.

Cycle to work scheme is simple, You do pay the full amount back (it would seem!), however, it is deducted from your gross salary, therefore, meaning that you are not paying tax on the deducted amount. This equates to a 40% discount if you are in th higher tax bracket or 22% for the lower. Simple.
  • DonDaddyD
    Campy King wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

Cycle to work scheme is simple, You do pay the full amount back (it would seem!), however, it is deducted from your gross salary, therefore, meaning that you are not paying tax on the deducted amount. This equates to a 40% discount if you are in th higher tax bracket or 22% for the lower. Simple.

But at the end of the 12months the bike s still the property of the employer not the employee. The employee can then buy the bike from the employer for a undetermined amount, which I think the OP was referring to.

It was that ambiguity that made me not opt for the scheme.

I also thought the discounted amount was less if you were in a higher tax bracket and more if you were in a lower tax bracket?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • oxymoron
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Campy King wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

But at the end of the 12months the bike s still the property of the employer not the employee. The employee can then buy the bike from the employer for a undetermined amount, which I think the OP was referring to.

I also thought the discounted amount was less if you were in a higher tax bracket and more if you were in a lower tax bracket?

on my works site it says buy back is 5% of the loan amount + VAT on that 5%.

it worked out a £600 bike was gonna cost me £378. What happens if I leave my job inside 12 months? Can i buy the bike early?

May just buy the bloody bike with cash :p
  • DonDaddyD
    oxymoron wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Campy King wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

on my works site it says buy back is 5% of the loan amount + VAT on that 5%.

it worked out a £600 bike was gonna cost me £378. What happens if I leave my job inside 12 months? Can i buy the bike early?

May just buy the bloody bike with cash :p

If you leave your job within the 12months of the loan period you have to pay the remaining cost of the bike without the discount (in a lump sum I believe).

It a good scheme, though I personally decided to pay for my bike outright as it was already discounted sufficiently by the shop and I hate having to pay monthly installments and I like the idea that I actually own what I'm paying for and not my employer... Its a bit like paying them the money they are paying me...
    Food Chain number = 4

• Campy King
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Campy King wrote:
    oxymoron wrote:

The more tax you pay i.e 40% tax payer gets a 40% discount. If you are a lower earner in the 22% bracket, you only get 220% discount.