Suspension Set Up

UncleFred
UncleFred Posts: 227
edited August 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi

I'd like some tips for setting up my suspension. As the trails over here are just really dirt roads with rocks and mud holes in places I've never really set up my suspension properly.

But I think I've been missing out on something so could I get some hints about the correct set up for a race on Sunday. The race is mostly going to be on paved roads, lots of steep climbs and fast descents. However there are two off road sections, one has a steep descent over loose stones with a couple of big holes. The other is a fast descent on a good but loose surface with a couple of rough sections.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    What bike/forks/shock do you have?

Air/coil spring?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • UncleFred
    Trek Fuel 80.

Front - Fox Float F100x with Terralogic
    Rear - Rock Shox MC 3.3
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    edited August 2008
    Righty ho!

With your usual riding clobber on (inc camelback with water in if you use one) and stood on the bike in your usual riding position you should be aiming for no more than 30% of your full travel as sag (you can use a zip tie around the fork leg to measure the sag, the shock unit should have a rubber 'o' ring to measure the sag with)

Rebound should be set fairly fast, but not too fast (which will be a bit pogo-stick like and could throw you around a bit) Too slow & the suspension will 'pack down' over successive hits, not good!

Then experiment a little to get the settings that you want.

Hope that helps.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • UncleFred
    ok, makes sense, I shal have a play around.

Ta