Breaking Spokes

stage_fright
stage_fright Posts: 218
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Broke a spoke on the rear wheel on a long ride last week, something I had never done before in maybe 2,000 miles on that bike (actually – not something I had done before EVER!). Wheel had recently been trued and set up, so dropped it back to a LBS – and on my second ride after popping re-fettled wheel back in – broke another.

Both broke on the 90-degree bend where they connect to the hub – the obvious weak point I assume – but any suggestions on where I go from here? Do I get that one spoke replaced or is there some more fundamental issue going on?

The wheels are the ones that came with my Bianchi labelled as Compagnolo by Ambrosio if I have that right. I have no idea as to the quality of the wheels.

Thanks!
Chocolate makes your clothes shrink

Comments

• acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well, the quality of the rims and hubs is probably pretty good. But you might have gotten a badly built one. I broke a spoke for the first time last month. Upon inspection, a few of the spokes had cracks, so I had those replaced too. You might look at yours to see if this is the case.
  • If you ride home after breaking a spoke, you will put a lot of stress on the rim and the other spokes. If you have a spoke key, loosen a few spokes around the snapped spoke, and don't ride. If you rode home, or the wheels have had a hard life, you may have stressed a few spokes a bit too much. Best to check them all just to be safe.

p.s. the only time I've broken a spoke was tootling down a road at less than 5mph. :?
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Stage - was the breakage on the 'drive side' ?
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Bianchi labelled as Compagnolo by Ambrosio

Compagnolo = Campagnolo the most respected manufacturer of quality components for road bikes.

Ambrosio = Ambrosia = italian rim manufacturer again with a strong racing lineage.

What are the spokes you are using?

How old are the wheels? Are the hubs High FLANGE or Low Flange? As you are posting in the beginners area the wheels are more likely to be clincher then tubs.

if the spokes break at the bend check your hub. Are the holes getting distored or too deep? if so the angle of the spoke coming out of the hole is going to be extreme and breakage is going to continire _ your hubs are getting worn out.

If the spokes are breaking on the drive side check for cuts caused by the chain hitting the spoke due to badle adjusted rear deraileur. If you have cuts on the spokes get them replaced and adjust your derailuers.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Wheel had recently been trued and set up, so dropped it back to a LBS – and on my second ride after popping re-fettled wheel back in – broke another.!
    Based on your recent visits to them, I think you should be able to go back to your LBS and have them rectify the problem at their own cost. Seems to me they haven't really true-ed the wheel such that the tension is balanced.
  • Thanks for the advice so far!

First breakage was halfway through a 90-mile ride - I was forced to keep going after removing the broken spoke - so am happy to accept that in doing that the other spokes would have been stressed (am 14st and 6ft2, so not the smallest of riders).

Partly the reason I mentioned the quality of the wheels was that I had no idea of their standard, and was wondering if a wheel upgrade was worth the money (the lovely wife has already said 'does that mean we need to get you new wheels, and has already used the word Mavic in conversation'!)

I am fairly sure both breaks have been on the drive side, when it stops raining so hard I'll go out to the garage and have a look at the latest one.
    Chocolate makes your clothes shrink
  • Maybe the word 'Mavic' is a good sign. Is your birthday soon? That may also be a good chance for something new, exciting and shiny. :D
    Anyway not a bad idea to loosen the spokes on the opposite side to the side you snapped spokes, to stop stresses on the rim. You don't want to deffinatly ruin the wheel would you? :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    Bugly wrote:

Ambrosio = Ambrosia = italian rim manufacturer again with a strong racing lineage..

Ambrosio = Ambrosio SpA, Italian rim manufacturer with a strong racing lineage.

Ambrosia = Creamy Rice Pudding, or in Greek Mythology, the food of the Gods