155mm Saddles

Min
Min Posts: 12
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I'm quite new to cycling, and this is my first post,

I know there's been a quite recent thread on Saddles, but i didn't think it would be a good idea to rez posts.

Everytime i ride, i have quite severe discomfort in my seatbones, and recently i had it measured using memo-foam at my LBS, and found out i have quite a wide seat bones and need a 155mm saddle,

So any recommendation on 155mm saddles? i know there arent too many saddles that come in this size.

Min

Also, does anyone know if the Toupe comes in 155?

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the toupe does come in 155 yes - but it's not as common as the 143 size - might take a bit of searching,

actually - I can only think of specialized sddles going this wide - their body geometry system means they make a lot of saddles in two or three sizes - the toupe being the top of the line model. I assume it was the specialized emasuring system that your LBS used?
  • Min
    yes it was the specialized measuring system.
    Hm is the toupe comfortable, do you know? it looks really thin
  • manick0de
    manick0de Posts: 202
    Specialized Avatar is readily available in 155. It's a comfy saddle to. Not tried the Specialized Alias but is available in 155.

I've never heard of the Toupe coming in 155. It's not even on the Specialized site. The 143 saddle weighs 155g, so maybe that's caused confusion?

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipSaddlesRoad
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    I have seen a Toupe in a 155. Be careful though, the Toupe is a pretty hardcore saddle and not suitable for all day rides, I used one and found it to be comfortable for a couple of hours but no longer. Why do you think that you never see a Toupe on the TDF??
  • gkerr4
    Min wrote:
    yes it was the specialized measuring system.
    Hm is the toupe comfortable, do you know? it looks really thin

I do have a toupe - it looks like an instrument of torture but I find it really comfy - even on extended day-long rides.

it has a number of fans - but a number of haters too! - saddles are very personal i'm afraid and it might take a few before you settle on one you really like
  • Min
    I see, Thanks for the help guys,

Also, Toupe Gel and Toupe normal, what is the main difference? apart from the glaring obvious, one has a gel in it.

I mean is it really more comfortable? because i think i saw some people saying actually the non-gel version is better
  • gkerr4
    again - personal preference - there are people on this forum who have used both - some prefer the gel - some the regular.

Mine is the regular and I think its fine.

The regular is a lot lighter too if thats a concern
  • Min
    Finally,,,, any one know where i can get hold of one, in either gel or regular in 155 in white? :D
  • Campy King
    try doing a google search?
  • gkerr4
    hmm - not looking good is it..

sigmasport have the alias and avatar in 155 - but no-one seems to be listing the toupe in 155 anymore:
    https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/web/Su ... x?CatID=15
  • Campy King
    what about the bay of dreams??