Stretching myself!!!

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Ok, not as exciting as it might sound....but I'm wondering whether to stretch to the Boardman Team instead of the Boardman Comp. I will be getting through my work cycle scheme so will get either at approx 40% off. And yes, it does have to be a Halfords one.

So.....I want my first road bike and want something that will last several years and will have enough scope for me to join a club and do some long rides - maybe even the L'etape next year.

Do you think it is worth paying the extra £200 for the Team model? Or will the Comp suffice and then I have some spare cash to buy bits and bobs.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/

Cheers!

Comments

• steerpike
    anyone?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    The spec is here.

The comp will suffice.

And the Comp benefits over the Team with having a compact (50/36) rather than a double (53/39). Ideal for the Etape.
    Rich
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    If this is you first bike in a whiole be prepared who much all the 'bits n bobs' will be...
    Shoes, pedals, helmet, bib shorts, gloves, jersey, gilet, seatbag, tools, pump, bottle & cage, computer, $$$$, etc
    Rich
  • You're not restricted to just Halfords stock(if that's why you're only looking at boardmans), they have a special order service that you either phone or e-mail and they can get almost any bike available in the U.K.

from the halfords site:

Where can I get my bike and cycling safety equipment?

Halfords has the largest selection of cycles and cycling safety equipment in the UK, and sells more bikes than any other retailer. Look at our huge range of top brand products either at Halfords' 400 plus stores or on-line at www.halfords.com.

Still can't find what you are looking for? Simply call Halfords' dedicated Cycle2Work team on 08450 778 850* and we will do our best to source your dream bike for you
    ."

Be warned though my Ridgeback Tourer took 7 weeks! they put that down to the supplier, I half believe them because I was originally quoted 2-4 and that seemed very genuine.
    If you don't have it, you don't need it.

My 2008 LEJOG
  • steerpike
    thank you for the replies folks. Very useful
  • Campy King
    Campy King Posts: 201
    I would get the most expensive, best equipped, best looking and most suitable bike that you can afford. If you don't you will only spend the next 12 months looking to upgrade and asking why you did not spend the extra in the first place. Just my 2p worth!