Roof Rack for new shape 3 door Honda Civic

gbrnole
gbrnole Posts: 395
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi,

Has anyone got the new shape honda civic and managed to put a roof rack on it. I'm about to buy the new shape civic type r but I won't buy it if I cannot fit my bike on the roof.

The Honda dealer assures me that Honda do a roof rack and bike rack but I can't see how it will fit on the 3 door model. Have checked roof rack websites and there doesn't seem to be anything listed for the 3 door models from 2006 on..

Can anyone help?
Ibis Mojo SL-r

Comments

• tow ball mounted?

but have had a look and there doesnt seem to be any listing for the 3 door.
  • mik75
    mik75 Posts: 149
    Civic Type R with a tow bar?? Nice!! Just buy a cheap van as well for the bike :P You know it makes sense. A tatty Berlingo or equivalent.
    \'Porridge is the weapon of choice\'

Mik
  • mik75 wrote:
    Civic Type R with a tow bar?? Nice!! Just buy a cheap van as well for the bike :P You know it makes sense. A tatty Berlingo or equivalent.

If i recall rightly it's illegal to fit a tow bar to a Type-r as it has no registered towing weight (I have one myself :wink: ) They only way is to fit a roof mounted bike rack.
  • What's wrong with putting it in the back with the rear seats down? I have a 5-door 08 Civic model (same boot area) and have plenty of room inside for my bike.

I think the roof rack will look pants on your Type R and will not help with fuel efficiency.
  • bonyjoe
    bonyjoe Posts: 48
    There is a hatchback roof rack converter thing that you can buy that is used to attach roof racks to 3 door cars go into halfords and ask about it then find out the name and search for it on the internet.

It's made by thule.
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    I'm not too keen on the towball idea, interesting point bout the roof rack adapter I'll look into that.

I've seen a civic roof rack on eBay and asked the seller if it would fit the 3 door and he said it would??! Does the type r have fix points on the roof?

I'm reluctant to throw a muddy bike in the boot, no matter how careful I always manage to scratch something after a long ride
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • 3 door roof rack, nae bother.

Thule do a 'short roof adapter' for 3 door cars, but's its about £60 just for that, plus the bars and feet. That's assuming you dont have fixed points.

As for appearence, I think you're type r will look sweet with bikes on the roof! I'd put mine on the skyline but i dont want to scratch it.
  • also, i have a spare short roof adapter if it's what you need, give me a shout. Only thing is im up in aerdeen.
  • Just got the type S GT (3 door) sweet for a company car) I too can't find a rack for the car, but I have had a word with Honda who tell me they do a roof rail system for the 3 door. (About £200) Yeah lots of dosh for a couple bits of metal. They also tell me that the fixing points are not already in the 3 door version so there is some drilling of the roof required to replace the existing track so the rails can be fitted.....I just got a plastic sheet in chucked my bike on that in the boot......but hey, mines a company car so who cares.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I know a guy that has the new shape Type R and he has a genuine Honda rack and bike carrier however I dont think he uses it much now because he noticed the fuel consumption go from bad to worse with the bike on the roof :(

I used to carry a couple of bikes on the top of my Astra VXR but found I had to stop at every petrol station to fill up :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.