Supplements

volvine
volvine Posts: 409
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Was just wondering what if any supplements you use i.e Creatine ect if so what benefits you gain from using them.

Comments

• yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    Volvine

I had a query about supplements and gained very mixed responses. The cycling fraternity don't appear to use them as readily as the body building fraterninty.

When I started lifting wieghts I found that the first thing you did was started on the protein shakes before a dumbell was even lifted! And things progressed form there.

IME casual cyclists do not appear to take supplements. May be worth looking at some body building forums for these queries but everything else bike - this is the ONLY place to look!!! :D
  • virtuoso
    virtuoso Posts: 45
    As a former competitive powerlifting I can tell you that the only supplements worth taking are the ones that your mother would disapprove of.
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I use a couple of supplements and these are, whey protein powder- for recovery after rides, mixed with carbs in 2 parts carbs 1 part protein mix, Fast digesting carbs either dextrose or maltodextrin for recovery drinks ( see first point) and to make energy drinks whilst riding and occaisonally caffiene tablets when i just need an extra pick up, i buy them all in bulk from www.bulkpowders.co.uk and save a fortune over using cycle specific supplements i.e. SIS, high 5 etc.
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i'm just using MAXIM energy drink atm and i must admit it works for me when i'm knackered at the top of a climb.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Maxim is pretty good stuff. I use the maxim Energy when I go out on club runs and training but if you want something with a bit of a kick then try High-5 Energy Source X'treme -
    I also sometimes find it very hard to eat after 80mile + rides and I just use two scoops of plain whey Protein in 500Ml of milk to recover quickly
    cartoon.jpg