"Spud" Riley Memorial

shy tot
shy tot Posts: 111
Latest list of riders (as at 6 August) now on the website:
www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk

Comments

• How did people get on then?

I'm mystified as to why the Polkadot is so busy and this event is (relatively) quiet.

Had the pleasure of being caught by Dave Lloyd (who lost his timing card en-route) at the bottom of Longcliffe, but dug in and did my share of work until near the top of the Cat & Fiddle when I was pretty knackered and got dropped by Dave and one other bloke. Weather was okay at points, and pretty awful at others. Still, it was a good ride.
  • I did the short ride (rode a 25 on Saturday) and just missed the rain what was the weather like for the full ride? The route signs and the feeds were the usual high standard.
  • Met the Spud Riley boys on top of Windgather, coming out of the mist, I was coming from Bollington via Dead Man's hill, they climbed the less steep one from Kettleshulme
    roads in the Peak were wet, descends scary... I was doing my ride and had to walk down a 20% descend as there was no way of keeping the bike on the road.
    Going up was equally hard, with little grip...
    Glad I didn't enter it...
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    they climbed the less steep one from Kettleshulme
    Indeed, but we did 100+ miles... :lol:

As usual from the PolkaDot team, excellently organised, really friendly organisers and feedstation helpers, a really good event.

It was damp from the off, started peeing down after Flash then brightened-up for the White Peak stuff and the sun even came out briefly, then was torrential coming over Cat&Fiddle on the way down - I'm not sure it was so much rain as low cloud which was being squeegee'd out by the hill but as well as being very wet and rather cold, visibility was less than 50yds and it was a bit scary in case traffic didn't see us.

But overall, I didn't think the weather was that bad - it would have been nice to have had better weather of course, but it wasn't so awful.

There was huge amounts of gravel and other crap on the road, including a most entertaining section up to Youlgreave which was like riding in a riverbed because so much gravel had been washed-out and deposited onto the road.
    I hope Dave Lloyd enjoyed himself with his Campag Bora Ultras and tubs !

Descents where I knew the road and could see it was clear were fine, but if in doubt I took it a bit gently, didn't fancy losing it on some gravel and going into a ditch.
    I love that road into the back of Ilam, but it has some fast bumpy sections and a really tight corner in a farmyard, plus some stupid sheep which of course bolted straight across the front of me - baaah!

The results show only 144 finished the long route, plus another 89 the shorter one, the organisers said they'd had roughly 30% no-show.
    I don't know what the weather and gravel did to the times, but there weren't many people out there, I didn't get in any groups going round, there were large sections where I'd be riding alone or pass someone on a long drag and then they'd pass me on a steeper bit and I'd get them back on a descent.

A good day though, I finished feeling I'd tested myself and it had been tough but not stupidly hard, enjoyed it.
    It took a while to clean the bike though...
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    they climbed the less steep one from Kettleshulme
    Indeed, but we did 100+ miles... :lol:

As usual from the PolkaDot team, excellently organised, really friendly organisers and feedstation helpers, a really good event.

It was damp from the off, started peeing down after Flash then brightened-up for the White Peak stuff and the sun even came out briefly, then was torrential coming over Cat&Fiddle on the way down - I'm not sure it was so much rain as low cloud which was being squeegee'd out by the hill but as well as being very wet and rather cold, visibility was less than 50yds and it was a bit scary in case traffic didn't see us.

But overall, I didn't think the weather was that bad - it would have been nice to have had better weather of course, but it wasn't so awful.

There was huge amounts of gravel and other crap on the road, including a most entertaining section up to Youlgreave which was like riding in a riverbed because so much gravel had been washed-out and deposited onto the road.
    I hope Dave Lloyd enjoyed himself with his Campag Bora Ultras and tubs !

Descents where I knew the road and could see it was clear were fine, but if in doubt I took it a bit gently, didn't fancy losing it on some gravel and going into a ditch.
    I love that road into the back of Ilam, but it has some fast bumpy sections and a really tight corner in a farmyard, plus some stupid sheep which of course bolted straight across the front of me - baaah!

The results show only 144 finished the long route, plus another 89 the shorter one, the organisers said they'd had roughly 30% no-show.
    I don't know what the weather and gravel did to the times, but there weren't many people out there, I didn't get in any groups going round, there were large sections where I'd be riding alone or pass someone on a long drag and then they'd pass me on a steeper bit and I'd get them back on a descent.

A good day though, I finished feeling I'd tested myself and it had been tough but not stupidly hard, enjoyed it.
    It took a while to clean the bike though...

It wasn't the worse day in the Peak by any means, but steep wet descends are not for me, I'm afraid... the road that goes down the Lamaload Reservoir is 20% with a sharp left corner at the end, I don't know how you guys managed to stay on your bike there, I just walked, but maybe it dried by the time you got there, I was there at 9.30 or so... doubt though, as there was a bit of a river coming down
  • andy_wrx
    That particular bit at Lamaload wasn't that bad at all to be honest.
    I was not looking forward to it, thinking I know what it's like but there'll be others who don't and there'd be a pile of bodies at the bottom...

I usually zoom down the top bit where it goes past the farm and the sign I think says 16%, as it's wide and straight and you can see what's happening
    Then I brake like anything and tiptoe down the bottom bit where the sign I think says 25%, as there are badly repaired potholes, usually lots of loose gravel, the stream running across the road and it's a blind bend so you can't see if there's anything coming up.
    Of course it's a dip, so you don't want to loose too much speed as you only have to climb up the other side again, but I don't want a head-on with a car there...

However on Sunday it was actually OK, there was the stream running across the road but no loose gravel there, it was actually cleaner and safer than it usually is - perhaps it was so wet the stream has washed the road clean of gravel !?!

However,
    http://www.cyclosport.org/forum/reply.a ... 6&tid=2226
    Did the Spud Riley yesterday. Very enjoyable day. As stated previously a lot of debris on the roads. Came off on the decent after the Cat and Fiddle. My own fault going to fast, road was dry until near the bottom which had lots of water on the lane and I lost the back wheel. Fortunately for me landed on my arse and aqua plained about 20 yards. Did not rip shorts, however one of my cheeks has plenty of road rash on it. Only damage to bike was a few scratches.
    That sounds like the place...
  • Shame about the weather as due to the mist strangers to the course cannot appreciate just how scenic it is. The minor road near Ilam going down to the farm is like a hidden valley and even many of the regular cyclist to the Peak Area are not aware of it. It is generally a nicer and quiter route than the Polka Dot Challenge but it does not have the same popularity which is a pity as the profit goes to a good cause.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I was spinning my back wheel in the dry climbing that hill near Lamaload towards the Cat in the dry a couple of weeks ago, so god knows how tricky it was at the weekend.
  • fossyant
    Don't forget it clashed with the Manchester 100, and given the weather, the M100 might have been a better chance.
  • andy_wrx wrote:

However,
    http://www.cyclosport.org/forum/reply.a ... 6&tid=2226
    Did the Spud Riley yesterday. Very enjoyable day. As stated previously a lot of debris on the roads. Came off on the decent after the Cat and Fiddle. My own fault going to fast, road was dry until near the bottom which had lots of water on the lane and I lost the back wheel. Fortunately for me landed on my ars* and aqua plained about 20 yards. Did not rip shorts, however one of my cheeks has plenty of road rash on it. Only damage to bike was a few scratches.
    That sounds like the place...

That is certainly the place.. glad I decided to walk down that bit
  • WAS HARD GOING INTO THE WIND FRON THE 2ND CHECK POINT ONWARDS TILL CAT AND FIDDLE
    PASSED BY JIM HENDERSON TOWARDS TOP OF GOYT VALLEY
    VERY FEW RIDERS LATER ON COMPARED TO THE POLKA DOT
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    First of all I would like to thank all that were involved in organizing the event as it wasnt the best weather for cycling and equally not very nice to be standing around marshalling and handing out drinks etc, so well done to all.

It was the second time that I had ridden this event and again thoroughly enjoyed the route and found that it was just as difficult as last year. Met some friendly comrades on the way round and did manage to ride most of the day as part of a 3-4 man group which was nice.
    Along with the Captain I also had the pleasure of riding with Dave Lloyd for a spell and I just hope I am even half as fit when I reach his age. All round a well organised event with great people and a good challenging route.

One comment which is not a moan but possibly just a thought for next year was that I was a little surprised that there were no shower facilities at the end. Possibly I am pushing my luck but coming from Glasgow and having to drive all the way back up the road with no shower was not the best. If it meant adding a pound or two onto the entry fee then I personally think it would be a worthwhile improvement.???
  • WAS HARD GOING INTO THE WIND FRON THE 2ND CHECK POINT ONWARDS TILL CAT AND FIDDLE
    PASSED BY JIM HENDERSON TOWARDS TOP OF GOYT VALLEY
    VERY FEW RIDERS LATER ON COMPARED TO THE POLKA DOT

It's much harder than the Polka Dot and this time was the same day as the Manchester 100, that explains...
    But it's also much more beautiful than the Polka Dot... it would take little to make the Polka Dot better, cut off the busy A537 and go up the Macclesfield forrest instead, far more scenic and demanding, cut off the busy Winnats pass and go up the equally challenging Mam Tor via Edale instead
  • andy_wrx
    I think the whole point of the Polka Dot is that it's Cat&Fiddle, Snake & Winnats, the 'big' famous climbs.

The Spud complements it by doing the little-known-but-nicer climbs instead.
  • andy_wrx
    fossyant wrote:
    Don't forget it clashed with the Manchester 100, and given the weather, the M100 might have been a better chance.

Better chance of what ?
    One's a sportive in the Peak District, the other's a flat charity ride in Cheshire ?
  • fossyant
    Bit more pleasant - i.e. not going into the hills in bad weather.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    I think the whole point of the Polka Dot is that it's Cat&Fiddle, Snake & Winnats, the 'big' famous climbs.

The Spud complements it by doing the little-known-but-nicer climbs instead.

The Snake pass is also busy, but I can't think of a better way to get there, but you can climb up to the Cat & Fiddle via the forrest, much better and much harder.
    Winnats is famous, but in theory Mam Tor is a higher rated climb, as it gets higher up and technically is a "col"... steepness is just slightly less, not much less. Also it would cut off all the busy stretch around Castleton, going through Edale is much more quiet...

If I had to organise it I would do it this way
  • andy_wrx
    I do understand exactly what you're saying, but then you have a different event, the ride-lesser-known-but-just-as-good-climbs-on-quiet-roads in-the-Peak-District Challenge.

Dave Riley, Peter Lickfold and the rest of the organising team have such an event - the Spud Riley.
    And there's the Legbreaker and Phil&Friends.

The whole point of the Polka Dot is that it goes over the 'big' i.e. famous climbs - Cat&Fiddle, Snake & Winnats.

http://www.polkadotchallenge.co.uk/background.asp
    “Pete had said this type of Gran Fondo event could be the future for cycling as he had seen steadily declining entries over the years for road races he organised. He suggested that we put on a second event each year and he would help with this as well. This was when I thought of a route that would include most of the legendary climbs of the Peak District over which UK road races had been run for 60 years. We thought if it was run in early June it would be a good try out event for people preparing to ride L’Etape du Tour and decided to call it the Polka Dot Challenge after the name of the jersey worn by the King of the Mountains in the Tour de France.
  • fossyant
    The Spud is harder isn't it - many many short steep climbs, the Polka a bit easier, despite Winnats ?

With the Man 100 on, I just think many folk went for a flat fast/social ride....

The Man 100 was my first 100 for a long time - having been a short distance tester before 'Sportives' were invented, I never did that distance. The M100 proved I'll need some big sprockets/take it easy to do a hilly 100.

Fancy either or both the Polka or Spud next year, though might try a shorter 60ish mile first.... me and my 39 x 21 won't hold up for 100 miles - 60 yes....need to try out big sprockets again !
  • You could do the Spud on 39 x 21. It would add a fair bit to your time, but it's do-able.
  • shy tot
    shy tot Posts: 111
    bigal
    Yes we could have had an HQ with showers, and the pound or two on the entry fee would not be a problem. However, we think that having a space adjacent to the HQ, where 500 cars can be parked securely, and not cause any disruption to the local residents is preferable.
    I know that this year the field was flooded, but it has been used for 13 consecutive events before last Sunday without a problem.
  • andy_wrx
    fossyant wrote:
    The Spud is harder isn't it - many many short steep climbs, the Polka a bit easier, despite Winnats ?

I'm not actually sure myself.
    It's supposed to be harder, the organisers say it'll take an hour or so more to do the Spud than the Polka Dot, and certainly I took 36 minutes longer to do it in the changeable (shall we say :D ) conditions on Sunday than it did last year for the initially-damp-sun-came-out-later Polka Dot last year.
    However, I hope I'm fitter than I was last year 8)

But for me, in terms of hardness/difficulty, I didn't think there was much in it.
    The Spud has a few short-sharp-steep ones, but less than I was expecting, quite a few were actually long steady drags.
    I finished both feeling tired and that I'd been challenged, but that neither was stupid my-sportive's-harder-than-yours willy-waving, and as I result I enjoyed them both and thought I'd had a good day, rather than thinking 'thank god it's over, never again'
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    bigal
    Yes we could have had an HQ with showers, and the pound or two on the entry fee would not be a problem. However, we think that having a space adjacent to the HQ, where 500 cars can be parked securely, and not cause any disruption to the local residents is preferable.
    I know that this year the field was flooded, but it has been used for 13 consecutive events before last Sunday without a problem.

I have been entered into quite a few of these events now that have had porta-showers placed outside and can be located anywhere I assume near a building where they must get a water supply. 6 or 8 units might take up 2 or 3 car parking spaces round the back of the building.

Just a thought.
  • Booboocp
    Booboocp Posts: 1,156
    Well done to all who rode this event, it was horrible weather at times...

Images from the event can be seen below:

Flash - http://www.derekbphotography.co.uk/portfolio39947.html

and

Dead Mans Hill - http://www.derekbphotography.co.uk/portfolio39948.html
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • andy_wrx
    Best wishes Derek, good to see you out.

Alkthough the malicious streak in me loved catching you just about to get back in your car out of the rain, only to have to pop back out to photograph me.
    I bet you were just about to get back in when the guy behind came along too ! :D
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    seeing as how i didn't do the man100 or the spud last week I punished myself with a combination of the 2 yesterday......................kinda :lol:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/episode/view.do?episodePk.pkValue=6760103 :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • You could do the Spud on 39 x 21. It would add a fair bit to your time, but it's do-able.
    I did it on 39x23 a couple of years ago but I struggled on some of the climbs so I don't think I would get round on 39X21, have you done it?