SDW Some advice please

Harveytile
Harveytile Posts: 227
edited August 2008 in Tour & expedition
I am trying to convince myself that the SDW is a good idea. Having aborted one attempt last winter through poor planning :oops: , I am looking to do it right this time. It will be a solo effort as Mrs H is not keen on the idea.

Please could the good folk of Bikeradar provide their thoughts on the following:

1. I am undecided which bike to use? CX or MTB?
2. 1 Day or 2? If 2 then any passable hostels/B&Bs or do I rough it on the "Way"?
3. Camelbak or Pannier(s)? If I go with Camelbak then I may as well take the MTB, the CX takes a rack and panniers. Both bikes have 2 bottle mounts.
4. How late in the year to leave it? The earliest I am thinking is mid September. Any really windy times? I will have to do it over a weekend and have a decent set of lights with spare battery pack (7.5hrs total light) and a small backup light.
5. I will get the SDW Harveys Map (No discount for me :roll: ) and have already set up a route for the GPS. Anything else navigation wise?

Any help is appreciated.
Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)

Comments

• I've done it a couple of times, IMHO I'd say:-
    1. Definitely mtb
    2. 2 days, Truleigh Hill YH is about 2/3rds the distance if going Winchester to Eastbourne
    3. Small rucksack. You don't need much for an overnight stay.
    4. Both times I've done it late Sept, early Oct. Just need to be careful with chalky surface which can be skiddy in the wet.
    5. Yep, SDW map is useful, it has the water taps available on it. Though if you do go slightly off route as I did the second time, you soon find yourself off the map! It is infact well signposted but there's a number of bridleways that cross it, and racing past a signpost I managed to follow one of those for a while.

Either way enjoy it, it's a super ride. There used to be a write up on the Offroadadventures Online website.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I'd say do it it in three days. Nice pub (the Jack and Jill?) near the two windmills.
  • Harveytile
    Harveytile Posts: 227
    Cheers for that, Two days it is and I guess I'll dust down the old MTB and fill up the Camelbak.
    8)
    Beep Beep Richie.

FCN +7 (Hanzo Fixed. Simple - for the commute)
    FCN +10 (Loud and proud PA)