Spares --- Tyres and Innertubes

cosmaboy
cosmaboy Posts: 89
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Hi,

I have a SCR 1 2008 and would like to buy some spare inner tubes and tyres, any recommendations?

obviously not looking to spend a fortune on these, but i'm off on the London to Paris at the end of august and will need a couple of spares.....

thanks

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You shouldn't be needing spare tires unless you are v unlucky. However given that tires sold with new bikes are normally rubbish I'd suggest a pair of these Continental GP4000S': http://www.shinybikes.com/bikes/continental-gp4000s-folding-tyre.html

As for tubes just make sure whatever you buy is 700c. Assume you are running 23's on your bike? In which case something like these: http://www.shinybikes.com/bikes/vittoria-road-inner-tube-saver-10-pack.html
  • cosmaboy
    cosmaboy Posts: 89
    Hi, thanks,

Can you explain what 700c is about and 23's?

sorry a bit basic knowledge of bikes....

I'm assuming that the Giant SCR 1 has the 'norm' when it comes to all this.

ta
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited August 2008
    Do these GP4000 folding tyres fit on all wheels?
  • il_principe
    700C is the Diameter of the wheels. Roadbikes are almost universally 700C, some TT (timetrial) bikes use 650C. 23 is the tyre width. There is a very informative article here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html RIP Sheldon

Most roadikes will run widths of 21,23 or 25. Track bikes use even narrower tyres. Typically these tyres will be inflated to around 120psi (for clincher tyres which you almost certainly have).
  • il_principe
    willhub wrote:

As I understand it the GP4000S only come in 700x23. The GP4000's are available in 650 and 700 in a range of widths.
  • Anonymous
    willhub wrote:

As I understand it the GP4000S only come in 700x23. The GP4000's are available in 650 and 700 in a range of widths.

I ordered the GP4000, not the S one, 700x23 as thats the ones my wheels fit. I'm surprised, my bike came with Ultra Race, they have only lasted 1800 miles though :\
  • il_principe
    I'd have gone for the S version, it's a big improvement over the 4000's and easier to fit as well. Still v good tyres though.
  • Anonymous
    Damn, only 2 quid more too!!!!

Oh well, I hope these will serve good and should be a big improvement over my Ultra race tyre. Its not like the S versions is going to make you go faster is it lol?
  • il_principe
    willhub wrote:
    Damn, only 2 quid more too!!!!

Oh well, I hope these will serve good and should be a big improvement over my Ultra race tyre. Its not like the S versions is going to make you go faster is it lol?

Well actually it may well do! http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/uan/2358 I have noticed a difference between the 2.
  • Anonymous
    You rekon the GP4000 could be 1mph faster than my Ultra race? :P

Nah I cant even see that, getting the GP4000S could make a massive 2MPH then which is totally too good to be true :P
  • Anonymous
    Got this GP4000 fitted, looks great, seems good quality.

But wonder if I made the wrong decision, I'm not doing short races, I'm doing long training rides and these tyres will only last like 1000 miles or less no?

What should I have got for long training rides?

I'm sure I'll be happy with the performance of the tyre in the short time I will be using it though :)
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    willhub wrote:
    I'm doing long training rides and these tyres will only last like 1000 miles or less no?

I've got the GP4000S and thats done 1500 odd miles or so and its still not down on the wear markers on the rear tyre. So I reckon I shoudl see 2000 miles out of it I hope.