Pobl y Cwm

DaSy
DaSy Posts: 599
Just wondered if any of the Valley's people on here could tell me what the road up from Pontneddfechan to Heol Senni is like (Sarn Helen in the Beacons)

I have a ride planned to go from Skewen up the old Neath Road to Glyn Neath - Pontneddfechan - Sarn Helen then right at Heol Senni and onto the A470 back past the Storey Arms, then right after the Breacon Resovoir down the A4059 to Hirwaun, up over Rhigos to Treherbert onto Treorchy and up over the Bwlch to Cymmer - Pontrhydyfen - Efail Fach and down Cimla and back to Skewen.

I know all the ride from Hirwaun back round to Skewen well, but have never gone up Sarn Helen and back on the A470. It looks okay on the map, but is the Sarn Helen road alright to ride on, it looks pretty minor and not sure if my tyres will thank me for it.

Any locals that can advise would be very welcome.
Complicating matters since 1965

Comments

• mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    It's a great little road and includes the 'devils elbow' or the nameless Heol Senni climb which the original Dragon ride included although you will be going down it.
    I often do a similar route to what you have planned though I prefer going up to Trecastle then to Sennybridge and back down the Heol Senni road as you get the Dyfynnog hill and the aforementioned one into the bargain.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • DaSy
    Thanks Mozwyn69, that's just what I needed to know.

I really fancied going up that climb in Heol Senni (Devils Elbow looks pretty apt judging by the profile), but couldn't see a flowing way of going that direction. Last time I was in Abercraf the main road out toward Sennybridge didn't look too cycle friendly, the joy of most of the ride I described is the lack of cars and peace and quiet for 90% of the ride. Although my pink Rapha top caused a stir from the terraces of the Treorchy pubs last time I was there!

Is there a better way to get to Trecastle from Skewen direction than the A4067 out of Abercraf?
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    Yes about half a mile after Dan y Ogof caves there is a left turn taking you all the way to Trecastle on a quiet mountain road. It climbs steadily before a fast descent to Trecastle, another belter and I don't think I have ever seen another cyclist on it.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • DaSy
    I think that is the answer, thanks for that mozwyn69.

So Glyn Neath - A4109 to Abercraf and out on the A4067 to Glyntawe and left and up through Glasfynydd Forest and into Trecastle, and A40 out to Sennybridge.

That's great, thanks for the advice...

Si.
  • Billios
    Billios Posts: 96
    Ive been up those roads few time aswell. Wonderfully quiet and the tarmac is quite good. Trecastle all the way to the Gwaen-Caer-Gawen climb is really quiet and the scenery is great. Will be doing it next weekend. Where exactly is the 'devils elbow'?
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    edited August 2008
    Dweudwch shwmae i Denzil o fi!
  • DaSy
    Where exactly is the 'devils elbow'?

It is the two switchbacks on the road between Heol Senni and Ystradfellte I beleive...
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    only trying to help, it's pobol not pobl , was down that area yesterday did the ride in cycling plus but started and finished in aberhonddu/ brecon, very nice part of the country fancy going again .