Annoying puncture's: 4 inner tubes in 3 days

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
So, I took my new bike (Giant SCR 3) out to the London Eye (my girlfriend was jealous) and back on Sunday. It was a twenty mile round trip and I picked up a puncture on the journey back home. Not too frustrating as the tyre only started going flat as I turned onto the road where my house is.

The day after I bought two new innertubes, changed the flat over and took the bike out for a 10mile round trip through Norbruy, Streatham, Brixton, Clapham, Balham and back home about half way through I got yet another puncture. I had a spare innertube but no pump. Feeling like a moron aside this was frustrating as I now had to walk with my SPD-SL's on along Clapham highstreet and towards Balham train station - not a walk I would like to do in normal shoes.

Thanks to the sweet grace of kindness this guy, Bernie on a Trek Madone and with pump, stops and helps change my innertube over. He pumps it up enough for me to get home. Once I got home I pumped the tyre up to its approriate PSI, my third puncture. I found a stone inbebdded in the tyre. This wasn't the cause of the first puncture there is a seperate hole in the tyre for that....

Bought my forth innertube, put it on and as I was pumping it up it explodes. Apparantly I hadn't fitted the tyre properly so the innertube expanded against the wheel and tyre until it burst.

I'm on my fifth innertube now.

Has anyone else experienced this, any advice?

I think next payday Continental GP 4000s are on my shopping list.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    If your tyres are the same stock Kenda's that I got with my Giant SCR then they are total rubbish. Get them swapped ASAP as it only gets worse.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Proper tyres make a world of difference, yes. So does 80+ psi.

Also double check the rim tape. Cloth tape is well worth the small expenditure. Be careful if the spoke holes are offset.

You can also read this guide on how to repair inner tubes.
  • Also run a few fingers and your eyes over the tyre. How many small things can you find? You'd be supprised how many I've found before...
    Agree totally on the GP4000's. Good choice.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Proper tyres make a world of difference, yes. So does 80+ psi.

Also double check the rim tape. Cloth tape is well worth the small expenditure. Be careful if the spoke holes are offset.

You can also read this guide on how to repair inner tubes.

Thank you the link was very helpful.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • huggy
    huggy Posts: 242
    My mate suffered a blowout on a Kenda from an SCr 2 last night, I think the tyre came off worse - huge dimple in the side of it and the wire bead poking out.
  • graham_g
    graham_g Posts: 652
    Shmo wrote:
    If your tyres are the same stock Kenda's that I got with my Giant SCR then they are total rubbish. Get them swapped ASAP as it only gets worse.

+1 My girlfriend got two punctures on her first outing (40 miles) at 100+ psi.