Suffolk Coast Ride this Sunday

yackers1
yackers1 Posts: 108
edited August 2008 in Road beginners
Afternoon all...........

I'm doing this charity ride on Sunday. Has anyone on here done it before? Is it a 'quiet' ride like the Norfolk 50/100? What can I expect?

Any comments much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    never done it, but may head over. Do you know if they are still taking entries or whether you can enter on the day?
  • Rezillo
    Rezillo Posts: 95
    I've entered for this. The pack sent to me doesn't actually say that you can enter on the day However, it implies this is possible by saying that I do not need to queue for registration.

I haven't done the route before but I know the area well. It's my first sponsored ride and I'm hoping the weather improves!

I believe it is quite a family-orientated event and the info stresses it is not a race.

John
  • hammerite
    Thanks, wasn't planning to race, I've never raced on my bike before (apart from triathlon). If I do this I'll be treating it as a training ride, but will want to try to keep a decent pace. I want to do the 60, and will see if the OH wants to do the 35.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I did it last year, the route is different this year, the start is different, but you'll be able to park this time.

It's a nice route, not hilly, but undulates. It was boiling hot last year, looks to be windy and maybe wet this year, a different challenge....

Doing it this year too.

We did the 60 mile and took ages because the sister in law was on an old MTB and not fit!

This year she's dong the 35 mile route, I'm doing the 60 and want to clear 4 hours, knocking over an hour off last years time! We rekon we'll finish pretty close together!

You can enter on the day, it costs slightly more and parking is £1.50

Look out for 272 pinned to the back of my Camelbak, I'm a 40 something with goatee on a 2007 Spez Allez Sport
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • cosmaboy
    cosmaboy Posts: 89
    Hi, i'm doing this ride too, what would people say is a good time to do it in?

for a newbie road rider that is
  • Rich Hcp
    I'm looking at 4 hours or less, an average of 15mph, I've been riding for a while, but only as far as 40 miles, so this is the longest run this year.

That oight to be a comfortable speed, it's a fair distance. I've been doing up to 40 miles at 15+ mph and so when you allow for tiredness near the end then it is a realistic target for me.

I think you need to run at a pace you can carry all day, busting everything early on will just make the second half more tiring and slower overall
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • hammerite
    I'd be hoping for 3h 30-4hrs wind and hill dependant as I don't know the area too well.
  • Rich Hcp
    No real hilly bits, but it can get windy!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • hammerite
    I know I visited Southwold last would've been lovely, but we had to eat our picnic in the car park through fear of sand being blown into the sarnies!!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/HOBBIES/cycling.asp could be a bit breezy on Sunday too, could do with this starting at the north end then it'd be a tough out and easy back looking at the wind direction, rather than a tough back like it will probably be on Sunday.
  • Rich Hcp
    1 day to go!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • yackers1
    yackers1 Posts: 108
    Since posting this thread I had to work away and with no internet access I have missed what has been going on here. :?

Thanks for the relies guys - I am still well looking forward to it even though the weather is awful today and could be tomorrow.

I'm looking to do it sub 4 hours - c. 15 mph averag.

Rich Hcp - Did you do the Thetford 35 back in April? Your description is familiar and me and my better half got overtaken by someone fitting your description. We were on MTBs though! :wink:
  • hammerite
    Could be interesting tomorrow. Bit of rain and a lot of wind, might be an idea to form some small groups! Could be fast going out and slow back. Will also probably around 15mph in this wind.

I'm doing the 60, OH is doing the 35. Just had to teach her how to change a tube in case she punctures.

Give me a shout if you see me, I'm riding a Trek pilot with tri bars (this is a training ride to gear me up for a triathlon), and will either be wearing a cofidis or ag2r top. We're planning to set of at about 9am-ish.
  • did the 60 today in three hours... according to the met office web site it was a steady wind of 22mph with gusts of 37mph... i was almost blown to a standstill a couple of times :lol:
    a Bianchi is for life... not just for christmas
  • hammerite
    Got round the 60 today in around 3h 40-ish. Quite enjoyed the route, the bit through the RSPB reserve was a nice section especially as the trees sheltered the wind for a mile or two which was non stop from Southwold!

Guess which numpty had to make do with garage bought evian bottles after leaving his (and the OH's) drinks in the fridge at home?! :oops:

Actually, while I think of this, why is it called the coastal ride? I only saw the sea for about a minute in Southwold, the OH who did the 35 didn't get to see the sea at all, which seeing as we live a couple of hours inland she was quite disappointed about!
  • Rich Hcp
    yackers1 wrote:
    Rich Hcp - Did you do the Thetford 35 back in April? Your description is familiar and me and my better half got overtaken by someone fitting your description. We were on MTBs though! :wink:

Wasn't me, mate.

I live in North Herts and my sister lives in Ipswich, so we use that as a bse for the weekend.

4 hours 13 minutes.

I was hoping for sub four hours, but te strong wind and the 'walking section' from Southwold put paid to that.

I'm still quite happy with the time, I tend to average 15-17 MPH when there is no wind on shorter runs, so I'm pleased.

I can believe that it was a 20+MPH wind and gusty, it just hits you in the face and takes your momentum away.

The route was very good, lots of scenery, although i didn't like going past the pig farms!

Roll on next year!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Rezillo
    hammerite wrote:
    Actually, while I think of this, why is it called the coastal ride? I only saw the sea for about a minute in Southwold, the OH who did the 35 didn't get to see the sea at all, which seeing as we live a couple of hours inland she was quite disappointed about!

Not even Dunwich beach? The 35 mile route doubled up to there, according to the map.

Suffolk Coast tends to be a generic name for the far east of Suffolk. Too many estuaries for there to be a fully coastal ride.

I managed four hours, which I was pretty pleased with. Nearly got blown to a halt going down the gentle slope to the Harbour Inn, and from there on, it was hard work!

John
  • cosmaboy
    cosmaboy Posts: 89
    my first ride on my giant scr, enjoyed it but found it really hard into the wind. only just scraped in under 4 hours, 3:57 to be exact....

only stopped for 5 minutes to refuel as i didn't have enough on me.

is that any good for a first effort?
  • Rich Hcp
    Yes, it was bloody tough out there
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • hammerite
    Rezillo wrote:
    hammerite wrote:

Not even Dunwich beach? The 35 mile route doubled up to there, according to the map.

Suffolk Coast tends to be a generic name for the far east of Suffolk. Too many estuaries for there to be a fully coastal ride.

I managed four hours, which I was pretty pleased with. Nearly got blown to a halt going down the gentle slope to the Harbour Inn, and from there on, it was hard work!

John

Nope she didn't see the sea at Dunwich, the turn around point was the pub, and you just couldn't quite see it.

I had to take her to Aldeburgh to make up for it, trouble is it was rammed and we couldn't get parked, was quite looking forward to the deserved fish and chips by that point!!
  • Rezillo
    hammerite wrote:
    Nope she didn't see the sea at Dunwich, the turn around point was the pub, and you just couldn't quite see it.!

That was a bit unfortunate - the pub (The Ship) and beach cafe were treated as one refreshment stop on the route card as they are only about 50m apart. When I arrived there from Southwold, I took a look and there were a number of cyclists both on the beach and at the cafe, which is well-known for its fish and chips (although nothing special imho)

To be fair, if you didn't know this, it did look as if the pub was the only 'official' stop there and the sea, although it is only 100m away, is hidden by a shingle bank.

John
  • Rich Hcp
    They were saying where the beach was, I went last year, so didn't bother this time, not with those prices :roll:
    Richard

Giving it Large